HELP! Is my chicken dying? What can I do?

Cane Toad

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 1, 2012
In a pond somewhere, Australia
Yesterday after school I came home at about 5:00 pm to discover my chickens have gotten out of the pen. I called my chickens and 3 came to me. I couldn't find my naked neck hen, I searched the yard, and feared that she had drowned in the swamp. At about 5:45 I saw her trying to get to the rooster in the coop. A dog had chased her and ripped out all the feathers on her back. She was covered in mud and had a few cuts. I washed her best I could put cream on the cuts and sore feather areas then wrapped her in a towel and she fell asleep. She has been sleeping since 6:00pm last night to now 7:30 am in the morning, I hear her have a drink of water and peck at food then she is asleep again. I worried cause chickens don't sleep this long, normally she is up at the crack off dawn. She is safety sleeping in a nice big cage in my room. What can I do to make her better?

also don't worry about the other chickens I am re doing and making a better cool today

please help

Sounds like you are doing all you can do. They are often in shock after something like that. It may take her a while to become active just for that reason. Also, she may very well have injuries you can't see. When she's awake you could try a bit of scrambled or hard boiled egg, something of the sort that's nutritious and easy to eat, and might encourage her to eat. In the end, just attentive care and lots of rest in a quiet, comfortable place are about all you can do. It's up to her, and to whatever her injuries are.

Good luck!

Sounds like you are doing all you can do. They are often in shock after something like that. It may take her a while to become active just for that reason. Also, she may very well have injuries you can't see. When she's awake you could try a bit of scrambled or hard boiled egg, something of the sort that's nutritious and easy to eat, and might encourage her to eat. In the end, just attentive care and lots of rest in a quiet, comfortable place are about all you can do. It's up to her, and to whatever her injuries are.

Good luck!

X2 Hope she will be ok!

I agree. I think you have done the best you can - some ppl dont even do that.
I wish her well, keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom