Help is my chicken sick or injured??

fredakhan

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2021
I was trying to post a video but I’m unsure how. Could someone please tell me what maybe wrong with my polish hen? She spends most of the time laying down. If she walks it’s a stumble and she stays hunched over. She’s eating, drinking and pooping just fine. I’ve spent the last 3 day’s soaking her in a tub of water and Epsom salt and giving her vitamins and not much change. She doesn’t seem to be getting any worse but not any better either. TIA!

Attachments

• 6D0F116E-B70D-442C-9362-B06ADA8FE188.jpeg
    6D0F116E-B70D-442C-9362-B06ADA8FE188.jpeg
    537.1 KB · Views: 13
I would stop the baths. Videos should be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here, and one of her walking could be helpful. Is one leg weaker than another, and are toes curled under on either foot? How old is she and was she vaccinated for Mareks? Has she been bullied or could ahe have been injured by a rooster?

Here is I video I took attempting to get her to walk. I do not know much about her since I purchased her from an auction. I’ve kept her indoors until we figure it out.

Can you take some samples of her poop for testing to see if Coccidiosis or worms may be an issue?

Can she see well? Sometimes the feathers around the eyes need trimming.

I would get some Vitamin E (400IU) and B-Complex (1/4 tablet) into her.
Encourage her to drink, then offer food.

Not sure what's going on with her.

Sounds serious.... and bad.... but no idea what the issue could be.
Do you check her all over for wounds, signs of infection, and bumble foot?
No bumble foot or visible wounds. We are trying out dewormer and vitamins and she seems to be getting better. She’s eating a lot and more alert. Still not walking much but I would think if she’s sick she would decline. Today she even attempted to roost on the side of the xpen she is in. I definitely feel more hopeful about her recovery.

Sounds serious.... and bad.... but no idea what the issue could be.

No bumble foot or visible wounds. We are trying out dewormer and vitamins and she seems to be getting better. She’s eating a lot and more alert. Still not walking much but I would think if she’s sick she would decline. Today she even attempted to roost on the side of the xpen she is in. I definitely feel more hopeful about her recovery.
Good update.

Back
Top Bottom