Help is needed?!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by certifiedchef, Dec 1, 2010.

1. certifiedchef

certifiedchef Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Carmichael
    I have 4 young hens (about 20 weeks) I am in the final week of grow feed and them I ma going to switch them to layer feed. I am not thinking they are eating as much as they have in the past - the feeder is VERY slow to empty this past week or so. I have been giving them a cup (24 0z size) of scratch and grain with feed mixed in every other morning cuz its been cold here (ok cold for sacramento) so I know they eat that and they are eating the green easte/trimmings I bring them from work, but are they geting enough food?? Feed is in their coop, water is downstairs both a auto system with cups and a jug of H20.
    any thoughts???
    thankn you in advance!!

2. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    If you're concerned they're not eating enough food, cut back on the scratch/grain. Even when it's cold, your chickens will do better with complete layer/grower rations rather than treats like scratch.

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Agree they can be given too much scratch--for 4 birds more than half a cup per day would be an absolute limit because they will eat that rather than a balanced diet. I'd also hold off on the layer as well until you see eggs--they don't need the extra calcium until they are laying.

4. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Mine have slowed down on the food because it went from around high 75-80 and low 50 at night to the high 45-50 low 20's. The change in food could have an effect. But to much scratch can be a bad thing.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    They might also have stopped growing and need less feed right now, too.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by