Help! Is one of my Chicks a Roo?

birdsrfun

Songster
Aug 22, 2013
S.F Bay Area
Hello all. I have 2 chicks, and they are just 4 weeks old, but I am seeing differences in them that makes me think one of them may be a roo. I am posting pics, and if anyone can help me determine the sex, I would greatly appreciate it. They are both Buff Orpingtons and the same age, if that helps.

This is Esmarelda, the chick I am sure is a female. She has the bustle.

This is Henrietta, the one I am starting to think is a roo. She doesn't have a bustle like Esmarelda does, and seems to have a different looking tail.

Here they are together. Henrietta on the left, Esmarelda on the right. You can really see the difference here.

Henrietta is the one closer in this picture.

When the chicks are more alert, Henrietta's tail goes up. To take this picture, I was making a blowing noise.

Here's another pic of Henrietta's tail.

This is a good side shot when Henrietta's tail went up.

Any and all comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I love the name Henry for a rooster
big_smile.png
. Its to early to tell by feathers but those are rooster feet and legs.Very alert and proud, feathers dont stop at the body but follow down the legs down to the joint....

What are you hoping for?

Yeah, that's another thing we have noticed that's different between the two. We had our cat out while they were in the coop, and they both shot their tails straight up in the air. So we still had hopes that they were both females, as we cannot have roosters in our city, and we are in a suburban area.

The comb development makes me think that both are pullets. But the thick legs/stance of Henrietta is a cockerel characteristic.

Keep watching those neck feathers that are growing in. If they are different sexes you will also start to notice differences there in shape and length though it may take a few more weeks for that to really become noticable.

In terms of comb size, you have two pullets. I'm not seeing any reddness, which would be an indicator of a rooster. However, those legs are really thick, and the stance is upright, so I can't be 100% sure that you have two pullets. Wait a few more weeks, and post some photos then. By then, a rooster should have a larger, redder comb.

Hi appps,

What exactly am I looking for in the neck area? Esmarelda's feathers all over her body have grown in faster and fuller than Henrietta's have. In fact, Henrietta was the largest when we got them, and Esmarelda was the smallest. We lost the third one we had. Esmarelda is looking like a round featherball, and Henrietta is looking more narrow in her body, and seems to be developing slower. I would think if she was a roo, that she would be the bigger one?

Hi appps,

What exactly am I looking for in the neck area? Esmarelda's feathers all over her body have grown in faster and fuller than Henrietta's have. In fact, Henrietta was the largest when we got them, and Esmarelda was the smallest. We lost the third one we had. Esmarelda is looking like a round featherball, and Henrietta is looking more narrow in her body, and seems to be developing slower. I would think if she was a roo, that she would be the bigger one?

Birdsrfun, Here is a picture of one of my barn yard mutts ( 3 months old). Small comb, small body. but look at the feathers. Do you see all the pointed feathers in the neck, back and tail area? This is a sign of a rooster. There are some breeds that have pointed feathers in the neck area on hens but not on the back area, the saddle. BO hens do not have pointed hackle (the neck) feathers only the roosters.I hope this helps. Post some picts in a couple weeks for comparsion.

Last edited:
themadchicken,

Thanks for the help, and for teaching me one more thing. We will have to wait a few weeks and see. It will be a long few weeks and I will be examining those feathers very closely.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom