Help! Is one of my Chicks a Roo?

Hi appps, 

What exactly am I looking for in the neck area? Esmarelda's feathers all over her body have grown in faster and fuller than Henrietta's have. In fact, Henrietta was the largest when we got them, and Esmarelda was the smallest. We lost the third one we had. Esmarelda is looking like a round featherball, and Henrietta is looking more narrow in her body, and seems to be developing slower. I would think if she was a roo, that she would be the bigger one?

This is my favourite photo for showing the male feathers.

Everything gold grew in as he aged and you can see how they are long and skinny compared to regular feathers and where they are on the neck and back. Different breed to yours of course but the male feathers will still grow in the same areas.

Last edited:
This is my favourite photo for showing the male feathers.

Everything gold grew in as he aged and you can see how they are long and skinny compared to regular feathers and where they are on the neck and back. Different breed to yours of course but the male feathers will still grow in the same areas.

Thanks appps and themadchicken.

Great pics of your roosters, and since you have taught me what to look for, I have been looking at other pictures of roosters also, and now I can easily see what you are talking about. I would love to be able to have a rooster, because they are beautiful, but we just don't have the area. I would love to live on a farm and have a whole mess of farm animals.

We knew for certain ours was a rooster when it started crowing at two months old, but we really suspected it from the beginning because he was so much bigger than the others . He became really beautiful but made too much noise and we had to give him away. I gave him away on Craigs List and the guy assured me he wasn't going to eat him but you never know. I had 2 others that I thought might be roosters because they had curvy tail feathers but they are hens and are laying beautiful eggs now.

Back
Top Bottom