HELP is she egg bound? Graphic pictures!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenteri, Sep 23, 2014.

1. chickenteri

chickenteri Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2014
    columbus nebraska
    She's a 28 week old Ameraucana and has never laid that I know of. 3 days ago she was listless head pulled in and straining with little cooing noises. She had been picking and had a wound above her vent. Vent red and swollen, abdomen doesn't feel swollen, thin white poop, dirty butt. I've had her in the house giving warm soaks, used medicine syringe to get olive oil into vent but most just flowed back out. The first day she did pass a small disc of what looked like cooked egg white and I pulled a tiny bit of shell out of her vent but nothing since, just straining with no result. She is drinking but not very interested in food.

[​IMG]After a soak and clean up.

[​IMG]The result after straining.

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I think you should take her to a vet. It looks serious.

3. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Vet would sure help. But if its egg bound give her some crushed Tums for calcium, ( calcium could help her pass whatever is coming out, egg or not) and you could put perpetration H on her vent to reduce the swelling....

4. chickenteri

chickenteri Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2014
    columbus nebraska
    So after 4 days of living in the bathroom and getting warm baths with no improvement we went to the vet. She extracted 3 eggs and what she is sure is chick bones in one of them. I don't have a rooster so we assume it was a vestigial twin from her egg being a double yolk or something that her breeder didn't catch when candling or just didn't candle. Truly strange. She seems to be doing fine now if everything else in her anatomy is normal she should start laying. I've grown very attached to her so I do hope she's "normal".

5. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Holy cow 3 eggs!!
    That is amazing, you get so attached when you nurse them through something.... Glad you went to the vet. And glad she is recovering.

6. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Wow! Three eggs! Poor girl! So glad she's getting better! Hope she lays eggs with no more problems now.

7. cream puff

cream puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    Just.... ew

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by