1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Is this a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DarcDobs, Jan 5, 2016.

1. DarcDobs

DarcDobs New Egg

Jan 5, 2016
    A couple days ago I noticed that 3 of my hens had bare spots on their backs near their tails. The 4th chicken doesn't have any bare spots. I was talking with a friend and she said that maybe the 4th chicken was a rooster. I it isn't a rooster does anyone know what is causing the spots?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bare spots in chickens

[​IMG]
    4th chicken with no bare spots

Any help or suggestions is really appreciated

2. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    No that's a hen. Maybe they are picking on eachother, and the one with all the feathers still, is the bully.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You have a feather picker. Feather picking is usually caused by lack of space, or not enough protein. What are you feeding? How big is their run?

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Sunshine has probably solved your mystery. Try pinless peepers on her

5. DarcDobs

DarcDobs New Egg

Jan 5, 2016
    I am feeding them ranch way feeds organic pellets, chicken scratch and table scraps. Their run is 4' x 10'. What are pinless peepers? What else could I feed them for more protein? And thanks!

6. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    Dried mealworms are a good source of protein, 50% is what my bag of them says. Or a little canned tuna or salmon.

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Layer feed is about 16% protein. Scratch and scraps are extras and should be fed as 'treats'. Too much and you throw off the balance of nutrients. Stop feeding scratch completely and only give scraps that are protein rich, or switch to a grower type feed to offset any low protein extras.
    They may benefit from more space as well. 10 sq ft per bird is generally considered the minimum for light breeds. Bigger birds like Wyandottes need a bit more room.

8. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

You could simply switch to a game bird or turkey feed and see if that helps as both offer a significant amount more protein...

Or as a temporary stop gap you can mix in some dry cat food with their existing feed... A 17-20lb bag of dry cat food mixed to 50lbs of feed will give you a decent protein boost...

9. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    X2 or if you have a cat or dog you can toss the chickens a handful or two of cat or dog kibble. I do this when they are molting and they love it.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I've heard organic feed often has no animal protein, and this lack seems to lead to feather picking. It's not just the amount they get, the source seems to be important to the birds also. They're omnivores and are designed to eat some sort of animal protein. You might check your feed label and see if this is the case. I agree with feeding the higher protein feed and see if that will help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by