1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help...Is this an Black Australorp or an Marans hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LittleRedCoop53, Oct 20, 2012.

1. LittleRedCoop53

LittleRedCoop53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    She's about 6 or 7 months(Hasn't started laying)...she has a little lace on her neck grey/tan ...here's a picture of her . Thanks~
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. OneCrazyCowgirl

OneCrazyCowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

She looks like a mix. Usually Australorps are buff and have lots of feathers, while Marans have some brown on their head.

3. LittleRedCoop53

LittleRedCoop53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Thank you. That was fast. I was hoping some one would say 'she's a Marans' .

4. OneCrazyCowgirl

No problem.
    She may be a Marans or at least part Marans. She has the shape of them. I just doubt she is an australorp.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Did you mean to say usually Australorps are black? I've never heard of a Buff Australorp LOL.

I would guess Black Sex Link, although usually the leakage is gold, rather than that gray/tan color.

6. OneCrazyCowgirl

I didn't literally mean buff. Just the look to them makes them a little fluffier.

7. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello and welcome to BYC from Kentucky! She is very pretty but I'll go with her being mixed as well. You might want to post this question in the What Breed or Gender is This? https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this section. Here are two images of a few FBCM we have on our farm. They are not show quality by any means but something for comparison. Also. notice the feathering on the feet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

what is its sole color if it is whiteish color then maybe a australorp mix

10. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi and :welcome so glad you joined us!!! :weee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by