HELP: Is this egg still alive?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Amy's Animals, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Amy's Animals

Amy's Animals Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Hi, today is day 20, I know you aren't suppose to candle it then anymore but I needed to check because we've had a few incubator problems in the last week. First, the incubator temp went up to 107 w/ a 35% humidity because the temperature knob was accidentally turned up, then the same day the power went out and it was 82 with a 88% humidity. After we got power back on and the incubator all nice and stabilized again, I candled the eggs, all 3 were miraculously still moving. Now, one egg is suppose to hatch tomorow but as I candled it today the airsack was awefully large, like 1/4-1/3 of the egg. Is that normal, this is my first time? It was too filled up with chick so I couldn't see anything but the airsack so I can't tell if it's still moving. What do you think? I'll put up a pic tomorow, if it hasn't pipped, that is.
    Thank you [​IMG]

2. Chicks & Turks

Chicks & Turks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    Im not sure but [​IMG] to a healthy happy hatch

3. duckboatprincess

duckboatprincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Grand Blanc, MI
    It's normal for it to be about 1/3 or a little more of the egg. Just leave it alone in the bator. I had temp spikes to 104 and then drop to 90 through the whole process. I had nine out of the 10 eggs hatch and one more I'm waiting on. You can't do anything but wait.

4. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    I would give it at least two more days.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by