Help! Is this Merecks?

HELP...What is Corrid???? Baby still alive and eating but sitting. I was researching about what could be wrong with it and I found some that sounds like it may be the problem. Its called Infectious Stunting disease...I gave the baby a little dose of baytril injectible orally. Now, I have another problem though. I cant believe I didnt think of this before hand because it doesnt take a rocket science to figure out that if a turkey is sitting on eggs they can break them or suffocate the baby chicks. Found a dead hatched baby under the turkey and a baby hatching out of shell. Had to remove all eggs (9) and relocate them hoping that the enclosure I put them in with another hen will sit on them. Now, I have the egg which is hatching in my bathroom with the heatlamp over it. I am freaking out as to how hot it should be so Im going in every 2 min to check on it. I tried to put the half way hatching one with another hen and it tried to EAT IT !!! This is not the joyous part of having chickens ...... Am I hatching the egg properly? Never have had to do this before.....Thanks for the info on mereks and coccidia..Please let me know what that corrid is so I can buy some at the feed store. 

Holy crud sister! Ok corrid is for preventing and treating coccidiosis....any feed store should have it...

The turkey egg needs moisture to hatch properly...how far along is it in the incubation process?

Marek's has a 4 week incubation period so it's definitely not Mareks.

It is most assuredly cocci. The sleeping standing up and rocking is a classic sign that isn't in any of the books or information out there. A normal chick will sink to the ground when they fall asleep, a sick chick fights to stay up.

Corrid or Sulmet are the two readily available cocci meds.

It doesn't necessarily mean the breeder has bad birds. There could be more or different cocci bacteria in peaceluvnchicks environment and the new chicks are stressed, so they are overcome with this new unfamiliar strain.

But twice bitten, I probably wouldn't get any more chicks from that breeder either. Just know that if you bring any chicks in from the outside, this could happen again. We put apple cider vinegar in their water to help boost their digestive systems and vitamins and electrolytes to help support them through this stressful time. But you always have to be on the look out for that sleepy, overly rocking themselves stance. Don't go crazy and worry about every chick. Normal chicks will do the same move but the difference is eventually they go down to the floor, the sick chick doesn't.

Thanks for the info. Im going to get ciorrid right now. This is a nightmare. Baby chick hatched and DIED 10 min. later. I have never hatched eggs without a momma . My silkie who did all the hatching and baby care died after 10 years "( she took such good care of them and I am obviously doing a SUCKY JOB "(

Corid is a medication that comes in either a liquid or a powder that is specifically for Coccidiosis.You put it into their drinking water for 5 - 7 days as their only form of drinking water. It works quickly and your babies will feel better almost immediately. Do not stop the medication until the full course has finished.

As for the egg....you will need to put it in some kind of container where you can put a wet washclothe in with it to raise the humidity...it should be kept at 100 degrees...it needs humidity so that the membranes do not dry out around the chick as it hatches.

Thanks for the info. Im going to get ciorrid right now. This is a nightmare. Baby chick hatched and DIED 10 min. later. I have never hatched eggs without a momma . My silkie who did all the hatching and baby care died after 10 years "( she took such good care of them and I am obviously doing a SUCKY JOB "(
Don't feel too bad. You said you weren't feeding them medicated feed right? I've just started this whole "chick mama" thing, myself and wanted to do it without meds. I did it with my first hatch. I used kefir (like yogurt) as a cocci preventative. It worked great! Until I moved them out into the coop... They were in the coop for a week or 2 and then one day, I walked up to feed them and 1 was dead. I FREAKED OUT! thankfully we had Corid and medicated feed on hand, so I immediately put them on both and prayed that no more of them would die. They didn't. So then with my second hatch I decided to research more about preventing coccidia without Amprolium. I learned that the trick was introducing the chicks to small amounts, gradually. My second hatch is now 7 weeks old and never had to be on meds. there was one time when 3 of them suffocated and I thought they had died from coccidia, so they did have meds for about 5 minutes, until I realized what had really happened.
I'm working on raising my next set of chicks right now. They are a week old.
what I'm doing with them (and what I did with my last hatch) is:
Don't start them off in a totally sterile brooder. I don't mean leave it disgusting, just don't bleach it or anything.
Feed them kefir, yogurt, or spoiled milk every day. It may sound kooky, but those things are preventatives. They carry great probiotics to keep their guts healthy. Coccidia is an intestinal parasite, that attacks the gut, so the mroe healthy flora they have, the less likely they are to get cocci.
After they have had kefir, yogurt, or spoiled milk for a few days, add some dirt from the chicken coop to their brooder. (I get mine from underneath the roost, so that there is a little poo in it) All chickens naturally carry some cocci. They just have to build a resistance to it.
That's pretty much it. Add a bit more soil every few days or so. When they are about a week old I take them outside in a chicken tractor. I don't know if that's anything you would be interested in or not, just thought I'd put it out there. It's really not hard, and if you are serious about natural chicken raising it's a good method. I'm sorry you lost babies.
hugs.gif

Also, this is only my second time to be doing this. I'm still working out the kinks. But it seems to have worked with my second hatch.

Thank you so much for the info Layna. I have to say that this has not been a fun experience at all. Im so stressed out over these little chicks! I have NEVER had problems like this before because I always raised my chicks in the house with my momma silkie. The eggs would get close to hatching (or had just hatched) and I would bring them into the house, in a large tub and she would take care of them. I have probably had 25 baby chicks this way. Never had a problem with anything except for 3 suffocating. Since my silkie passed away from old age I dont have a really good momma for them. I tried putting 6 different hens (at different times) in with the eggs and NONE of them got even close to the clutch. 3 tried to actually EAT the eggs (yes, I have some egg eaters). Never have used medicated feed or sterile environments or heat lamps. My husband called me late this afternoon to tell me that another egg was hatching. He brought it into the house and put it under the heat lamp. I was on my way home with an incubator. Well, I got home and I guess the heat lamp had been too close to the egg because it was dead...He had COOKED it....Wanted to cry. Now, I have eggs in an incubator with all different times due to hatch. I have an egg turner which I wont be able to use when the next set of eggs are 3 days ready to hatch. I will have to figure out how to turn them. And, I will probably do those wrong too. Im so paranoid now. The little 2 week old cochin is still alive (from the breeder) but CONSTANTLY chirping. I have another silkie that is taking care of the 3 breeder chicks but Im worried that the little sickly one isnt getting enough heat or too much. I dont know what to do about the heat issue because Im afraid to leave it on if the momma silkie is in the tub with them.. Im so confused..... I had NO IDEA raising baby chicks could be so difficult! It was always soooo easy for me. I have been giving the baby chicks yogurt daily also. Thanks so much for your help. I will keep you posted on how it is going and will definitely ask for advice from you when I need it (which Im sure I will). Going to go check on the chicks AGAIN....Have a good day...

I'm sorry this has been so stressful. Hopefully it'll settle down soon. Once all the chicks get better, everything gets more streamlined, and you guys get more experience hand raising babies, it should be fine. :) It sound pretty hectic right now. Just remember it won't always be this way. You'll find a way that works for you. :)

Hi,
Well, 2 days ago I lost the little sickly chick that I had been trying so hard to save. This means that out of the 7 chicks I bought from that breeder only 2 survived. Im so paranoid that something is going to happen to the two I have left. It seems to me that there must have been something wrong with them from the beginning (when they hatched). I REALLY want a couple more cochins and it seems that this is the only place to get them. Im not sure what to do, actually. I do have one other question. One of my silkies who has ALWAYS produced a lot of eggs and sat on them until they hatched (I have had a lot of baby silkies from her) has pretty much stopped laying eggs and the ones that she has laid, she burried under the shavings. She isnt sitting on them at all. I have moved the silkie flock of 3 to a new area because we are building a new coop and tore down the old one. Could the move have caused her to stop laying and sitting on eggs? Whats with her covering her eggs? I really want her to start laying so I can have silkie chicks.Any info would be greatly appreciated. Hope everyone elses chicks are doing good ")

Back
Top Bottom