Help! Is this molting or something else

JMPE

Songster
10 Years
Aug 1, 2009
Western Wisconsin
I walked into my coop this morning to find feathers (maybe 50) all over. At first I thought something had gotten in and had to check that everyone was OK. The feathers seem to all be from my Australorp (just shy of 10 months old). All five of my girls are the same age (born Aug. 10th). She seems to be acting nomal this morning and the feathers look to be from her back and sides behind the wings (no real bald spot yet). There were none under the roost, so is this her first molt or are my other girls picking on her?

Thanks!

When my girls molted, first they stopped laying. When I started seeing them losing feathers, but the first bare spots were around their face/head. Then down the neck, belly and then they lost their tail feathers. You'll be able to see the pins for the new feathers to grow in.

Do you have a picture?

I was able to get a closer look this afternoon. She has a patch on her back that is completely bald under the feathers that are still in place. She looks healthy otherwise. I have watched her with the other girls and no one seems to be picking on her. I wondering if this was a morning squabble gone wrong. I'll keep a close eye on her for now. Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom