HELP is this molting!?

Jennyhenny156

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2020
Silky hens.
OK I have 6 hens 3 that are 14 weeks old and 3 that are 11 months old. One is inside broody, the other two have stopped laying and have bald bellys and chests eating fine drinking acting fine. No signs of any mites or lice. Cleaned out daily is this just a molt?

Your young birds (under a half-year) will molt frequently as they grow. As for your almost one-year olds, it's not unheard of for them to have a molt as well, but the timing on your older birds will be random. Ensure that they're getting a balanced feed, no more than 10% of their diet can be treats, calcium offered on the side (not in their food) for proper nutrition for your entire flock without the need to feed separately or buy various formulations. If their molt becomes severe, you may consider adding a nutritional supplement like 'chick booster' to their water (vitamins, minerals and amino acids).

Sorry I thought I attached them!

Attachments

• 20201129_155856_capture.jpg
    20201129_155856_capture.jpg
    901.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201129_160319.jpg
    20201129_160319.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 8
Your young birds (under a half-year) will molt frequently as they grow. As for your almost one-year olds, it's not unheard of for them to have a molt as well, but the timing on your older birds will be random. Ensure that they're getting a balanced feed, no more than 10% of their diet can be treats, calcium offered on the side (not in their food) for proper nutrition for your entire flock without the need to feed separately or buy various formulations. If their molt becomes severe, you may consider adding a nutritional supplement like 'chick booster' to their water (vitamins, minerals and amino acids).

The babies are fine no sign of anything which makes me think this is just a molt for the older two? They also are not really interested in treats never have been they enjoy meal worms and their feed eat grit and have vitamins and boosters I spend more on them than I do myself 🤣

They lay on the floor all the silkies do usually cuddling like rabbits
I normally see the feathers missing on the belly and breast when chickens lay on the ground, the rubbing can cause this. I don't think it is molting.
Could you add roosts a little off the ground? Not too high but just enough for them.

I normally see the feathers missing on the belly and breast when chickens lay on the ground, the rubbing can cause this. I don't think it is molting.
Could you add roosts a little off the ground? Not too high but just enough for them.
They have them, they just don't like roosting. Even if I sit them on a stool in the day they freak.to.get back in the ground its almost as if they are scared of heights 🤣 they three older ones have always been the same the younger chick silkie has grew up with a polish hen and gold top so she will sit in a stool but chooses to sleep on the ground still

Back
Top Bottom