HELP IS THIS NORMAL? Update.chick alive

PhlyinPheBee

Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Northeast Louisiana
Please help. Is this normal. 19 days, started yesterday, again it was hole down under the hen. It is more crushed than this morning.

Last edited:
I don't think I understand what you're saying. Is it that the egg was crushed under the hen at day 19 of incubation?

Oh shoot. forgot the pic

24794_mvc-032s.jpg

It's definately not normal - the area where a chick "zips" the egg looks more like a sort of zigzag line usually across the wide (big) end of the egg. Is the chick still chirping or moving any at all? It looks as though something stepped on it. Maybe two hens fought for room in the nest? I hope it's okay, but you may have to help it for certain now.
Good luck...

Go very slowly. Only try to peel the shell and not the membrane beneath it. Try to get around it's face and beak first. Maybe then the chick can finish hatching out on it's own.

So glad it's still alive! Yes, go very slowly. If you don't see fresh blood appear you can continue, if you do, stop for a while and then either see if the chick has progressed further on its own, or you can go at it again yourself. I don't see a lot of blood in the photo.
Good luck! You can do it!
smile.png

Last edited:
Can you put it back with the hen? If not, do you have an incubator? It should be kept at 99-100 degrees for about a week. If no incubator put it in a box with a paper towel lining and put a lamp over it. You need a thermometer to keep the temperature right. (You did a good job!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom