Help, is this piling?

CassInMass

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 19, 2009
My pullets are 8 weeks old now. They have a fine coop with a roost and three nesting boxes. At night they all pile into one of the boxes. I haven't put straw in the boxes yet because I know they are too young to lay. I have a Barred Rock, an Australorpe, 2 Arucanas, a Salmon Favorelle and a Rose Comb Leghorn. They are getting big and I'm worried they'll suffocate one another if they continue this habit. Also, I'm afraid they won't use the boxes for laying their eggs when the time comes. Today I made a board to put across the nesting boxes so they can't get in, but I don't know if this is the right thing to do. They also all pile in whenever they are frightened. They have a nice run with access to the coop, so they are in and out all day long. Any suggestions??

You did right by covering the boxes. Try going in at night when they are all piled up and moving them to the roosts. You may have to do this for a few nights in a row until they get the idea. Good luck!

I did the same thing with my young uns, cover the nest box for now, move em toteh roosts at night and try to check on them at bed time just to see if one is maybe overcome by the others. They should be just fine, sounds normal to me.

Completely normal for 8 weeks old! They will grow out of it on there own. You can encourage them, but you don't have to. They will eventually roost "right".

Back
Top Bottom