Help is this pipping chick membrane dried out?

pinksapphire

Songster
10 Years
Sep 22, 2013
First time hatching chicken eggs in an incubator and the last two eggs are pipping but worried that one of them might have a dried out membrane?
First photo is of the one I am worried about and the second photo is of the one that looks normal.
I have opened the incubator twice to take out chicks.
DFE6C66E-542F-41B4-855C-8CB19A708053.jpeg
B1E02288-963B-4120-9EF9-8D72C3C20678.jpeg

First time hatching chicken eggs in an incubator and the last two eggs are pipping but worried that one of them might have a dried out membrane?
First photo is of the one I am worried about and the second photo is of the one that looks normal.
I have opened the incubator twice to take out chicks.
View attachment 3153662View attachment 3153664
did you remove some of the shell?
Yes it looks dry. The second also looks like a somewhat unnaturally large pip, and looks a little bit dry. I would brush a little coconut oil to the membrane, what is your humidity at?
Also, never put a wet paper towel directly against the egg.

did you remove some of the shell?
Yes it looks dry. The second also looks like a somewhat unnaturally large pip, and looks a little bit dry. I would brush a little coconut oil to the membrane, what is your humidity at?
Also, never put a wet paper towel directly against the egg.
thanks for your reply, no i had not removed any of the shell not sure what happened.
I put some coconut oil around the first one and it hatched ok within about an hour of the photo.
the second one which I thought was ok had real problems and i had to intervene a good bit, I used coconut oil, warm water on a Qtip softening the membrane and cracking the shell, its wing was stuck to its head with a sticky glue like substance which I had to gently soften, it was hatched and clean about 8 hours after the photo.
Both are doing well now.
Thank you for the tip about the wet paper towel.

thanks for your reply, no i had not removed any of the shell not sure what happened.
I put some coconut oil around the first one and it hatched ok within about an hour of the photo.
the second one which I thought was ok had real problems and i had to intervene a good bit, I used coconut oil, warm water on a Qtip softening the membrane and cracking the shell, its wing was stuck to its head with a sticky glue like substance which I had to gently soften, it was hatched and clean about 8 hours after the photo.
Both are doing well now.
Thank you for the tip about the wet paper towel.
awesome that both hatched! Good job on the assists.

Back
Top Bottom