HELP! Isolating Bullies Together?

FatChicksDigMe

Crowing
6 Years
May 9, 2015
Merced County, CA
Hi guys, I have a small flock of 10 bantams in an enclosed run (90 ft^2). Three of the bantams are seramas so they take even less space. Unfortunately, my two d'uccle pullets are getting bullied unnecessarily/unwarranted by my mottled cochin and EE bantam, which causes my silkie and green queen to attack/chase them as well.

I've installed multiple feeders, cluttered the run to break line of sight, and hung two cabbage stations of varying heights far apart. They even have two grazing boxes and access to different substrates to dig or dustbath in. So, I'm at a loss on why they are so cruel to these girls. It's been a month since they have been in the flock now, and I even reduced my initial flock by 4.

I have heard bullies can get isolated for two or three days to give them an opportunity to fix their attitudes (lol). However, can this be successful if I remove all four bullies and isolate them together in the coop? I've tried to individually release girls one by one to assess who is a bully to them and it boils down to the mottled cochin and ee, but the silkie is sometimes very food driven/selfish and lashes out at them just because.

Any ideas? Or should I try this anyways...

Thank you! I actually read your article a couple weeks ago before I got them, but obviously forgot your wonderful advice. There are definitely two sides to the story! I noticed my d'uccles are very mild mannered and meek. They came from a show quality breeder so maybe he didn't socialize them much with other breeds; and clearly didn't give them more opportunity to act like normal chickens do (I had never seen them dustbathe or scratch the ground until they paid attention to the other girls).

I'm just annoyed because they are twice the age of the bullies (6 months vs 3 months old), are of similar height and build yet run away screeching with a peck... which leads to 4 of my girls chasing them until they perch (the whole day if I don't intervene and give them opportunity to eat three times a day).

Here they are (one is hiding behind the gardenia on a perch)

Attachments

• 20211019_085634.jpg
    20211019_085634.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom