HELP!!!! Issues Bonding with my Baby Chicks

Horsegirl412

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 26, 2014
Hello! I just received my first batch of chicks. Three of them are currently two weeks old and the other three are one week old. Their breeds are: Buff Orpington, Australorp, Easter Egger, Rhode Island Red, White Leghorn, and Barred Rock. My issue is when I stick my hand in their brooder to pick them up, the older ones and one younger one run away!!!!!! I make sure to give verbal warning. For about five minutes each, I take them in another room separate from the flock and try and bond with them. But they are still skittish around me! Any help is appreciated!!! Thanks!!

Baby chicks have a natural response in them to run from things that are moving toward them from above. Their instinct tells them to run and hide because it may be a hawk or other predator so this is very natural behavior.

When you say verbal warning, are you speaking in your normal voice or in a soft, soothing tone? Chicks feel safer when they hear a soft voice like a hen would be.

As for taming them while they are outside, here is an article I wrote on taming them
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-tame-chickens-from-the-start

Hope this helps!

X2 what Mountain Peeps is saying...chicks are naturally afraid of above predators. Talking soothingly is a good idea, and moving your hand very slowly. Without even picking them up, allow your hand to linger at their level, showing them it's okay. Having a treat available like some lettuce pieces or some banana is always good too. I wouldn't take the chicks too far from the others as far as holding them and playing with them, they like being within earshot of each other

Back
Top Bottom