HELP!!I'VE BEEN USING CEDAR SHAVINGS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sandbox330, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Sandbox330

Sandbox330 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    I am clearly new to raising chicks and while I have read web/books/mags before buying the chicks, nowhere did it say not to use cedar shavings!!! So, we've had the chicks since last FRi. night and I've put down a thin layer of cedar shavings over newspaper (changed it once). I will run out to get pine shavings tonight (I'm at work now AHHH), but does anyone think my chicks will have short term/long term problems from the cedar?? They don't show any respiratory problems. What kind of signs/symptoms would I see??
    Thanks

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  2. BaronRenfrew

BaronRenfrew Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm certain its a long term thing. Don't worry about it.

3. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Just change it as soon as you can.
    It was probably not long enough to hurt them and they should be fine.

4. shy

shy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    I know. I feel the same way. The people at the feed store had those right next to the chicks along with pine.It was like, What is your choice? So I figured cedar would be nicer since I can reuse as mulch. Thankfully I read that on an earlier post and changed to pine.

5. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    Quote:What a cute avatar Flowerpot... how did you get that chick to wear a jacket? [​IMG]

6. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I used cedar with chicks for many years before I knew better-nothing bad ever happened to them. Your babies should be just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by