Help!!! I've really done it now...

dturren

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 16, 2008
Today I went to a feed store that I don't normally go to. While there, I went over to the chicken coop and saw 5 chickens (2 Buff Orphingtons and 3 Barred Rocs). The two Orps were really beating up on one of the Rocs. She had no feathers around her entire neck down to her back, all around) and no feathers down her entire back. I thought about her the whole day and finally went home and got a box and went to buy her. They said she was not for sale. I said that either you sell her or you will have one dead chicken. They got the owner of the store. He said that she had been that way for over one year! I said "I don't believe you". She is obviously "low man on the totem pole" and is having the hell picked out of her. He said that now that he thought about it, it did happen over night. I said I didn't care, I just want to buy her. I was so mad. He finally said $10 and I said that she should be free! He said $10 or no sale...so i bought her. I brought her home and it is night now so she is calming down. I have her in a big 4 feet by 4 feet by 2 feet high box with screen on top. She has shavings and hay on the bottom and food and water. She keeps jumping up and hitting her head on the screen. But I need to know what to do now. I will keep her separate from the other girls for 30 days, but I don't know if I can keep her in this box for long. Please help. What do I do now? Thanks, Donna

That poor girl! You are so awesome for saving her. The owner of the store is something I can't say here!
smack.gif

Do you have the room to make a temporary space for her anywhere that is not close to your chickens? A garage or shed?

Thank you for your thoughts. Will I have a problem with the fact that she will be alone for 30 days? I will find a dog pen that I can put in the yard. It will be off limits to the other girls. That way they can see her but not come into contact with her. I'll wear gloves and a special pair of shoes with I deal with the new hen. Any other recommendations? Thanks, Donna

I think you have the majority covered. She needs to heal, and of course make sure she is not sick before you put her with the others. How is the new hen? She's probably one happy gal knowing she has someone like you taking care of her, and not getting beat up everyday.

Last edited:
Donna!
I just wanted to ask how things with going with the new little lady? It was so kind of you to rescue her! I hope that things turn out well for you!
Blessings,
Cathy

bow.gif
YOU ARE AWESOME!!! I think you may have saved her little life! I keep mine in a rubbermaid box with the top cut out and hardware cloth ziptied to it with bedding in the bottom. They do remarkably well in there. Feed and water 2 times a day. I bet she feels like this:
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif

That chicken is lucky to have you! I think I would wait the 30 days, then put your most layback chicken in with her for a few days, then maybe add another. Hopefully the 3 will become friends and help the transition to the coop.

That's wonderful that you are rescueing her.
big_smile.png

It would be important to COVER THE SCREEN right away. I knew a hen that kept jumping up like that in a cage & hitting her head, and the scrapes and infection left her skull fully exposed on part of the top. (I believe she did recover, eventually). You'd hope that experiencing pain would cause a chicken to stop, but sometimes they are just driven.
You could just put a piece of cardboard under the wire if needed and tie it to the wire, as well as cut some ventilation holes (small enough that she can't poke her head out) in the side of the box if needed.
Best wishes! Good on you for caring & taking action to rescue her!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom