Help- just died in the night

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sophiejw, May 13, 2011.

1. sophiejw

sophiejw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    When I went to do the chickens this morning, my lovely Shaver Brown was dead in the hen house [​IMG]

She was lovely and healthy, nothing wrong with her at all that we'd noticed. And only about 9 months old maximum (I got her as POL / Laying in February this year). I'm sad as she was my friendliest chicken and the children loved her.

Just wondered what possible explanations for a chicken just suddenly dying might be? Looked like she died in her sleep [​IMG]

Any thoughts would be really helpful.

2. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    I wondered the same thing when my 1yr old rooster died suddenly in his sleep. No idea how or why. No cuts, bruises or any visible signs of trauma. I will be keeping an eye on this thread as well.

3. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    Sometimes chickens just die! I have had several that were perfectly fine the night before and in the morning just dead! I know it doesn't make sense but unless you are wanting to cut her open or have someone else do it you won't know. Sorry about your girl!!! [​IMG]

4. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Chicken never just die, there is always a reason. She may have had an infection. Not all infections produce symtoms until its too late.

I remember someone saying their hen died of depression. Depression is a legit cause of death.

Heart attack is another. Something could have tried toget into your coop and cause the chicken to have a heart attack. A chicken somehow went into our neighbors yard and before the dog got to her she had a heartattack. He didnt even bite her or anything.

There is always a reason for death.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  5. Mamahalo

Mamahalo Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Tallahassee
    I'm so sorry. Better sudden in sleep than slow and painful. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by