HELP! Juvenile Saxony attacked

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Scarletpyxi, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Scarletpyxi

Scarletpyxi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2012
    My 3 1/2 month old male Saxony was attacked tonight by what may have been a fox or racoon. He is very calm right now but looks like he has a puncture wound on his head and some sort of bleeding at the top of his leg/on his side. The bleeding appears to have stopped but I am unsure about the best course of treatment/diagnosis of the injuries. If anyone can help me figure out a treatment plan and possible pain management I would be deeply grateful. He is walking fine and holding up his head and behaving relatively normally. I would really appreciate any suggestions.

2. Scarletpyxi

Jun 23, 2012
    Apparently the leg wound is also a shallow puncture or very short scratch. I rinsed the wounds with warm water and Betadine and now I put him back with his sister because they both freaked out as soon as I separated them. I don't want to stress them out and she isn't messing with him at all, she just was worried : ( If anyone has any suggestions for me please let me know.

3. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Sorry your bird was attacked. I would flush the injuries well with plain saline solution and if bleeding is minimal just, put neosporin w/ pain reliever in and around the injuries. Keep it quite and hopefully it will heal quickly.

4. Scarletpyxi

Jun 23, 2012
    What would work for pain relief? Thank you so much for replying...I was starting to panic!

5. Scarletpyxi

Jun 23, 2012
    The pain relief may also now be more needed because he has started to limp and keep his weight on the other foot, I can tell it is hurting for him to try and walk normally. I am also really worried about stressing him out too much while I apply meds but I don't know how to avoid stressing him too much.

6. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    Visit the following post, which outlines treatment of the wounds, and review the entire thread: The victim's owner did an excellent job of relaying his AV's treatment of his hen, which had been badly attacked by a dog (80 stitches in all).

As to pain relief? Aspirin can be given:

Dissolve five (5 grain) aspirin tablets in one gallon of water.
    Offer this solution free-choice to the birds for the duration of an illness. The solution aspirin equivalent to 25 grains/gallon or 324 mg/gallon of drinking water. The dosage rate is about 25 mg/lb body weight per day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by