HELP! Juvenile Saxony attacked

Scarletpyxi

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 23, 2012
My 3 1/2 month old male Saxony was attacked tonight by what may have been a fox or racoon. He is very calm right now but looks like he has a puncture wound on his head and some sort of bleeding at the top of his leg/on his side. The bleeding appears to have stopped but I am unsure about the best course of treatment/diagnosis of the injuries. If anyone can help me figure out a treatment plan and possible pain management I would be deeply grateful. He is walking fine and holding up his head and behaving relatively normally. I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Scarletpyxi

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 23, 2012
Apparently the leg wound is also a shallow puncture or very short scratch. I rinsed the wounds with warm water and Betadine and now I put him back with his sister because they both freaked out as soon as I separated them. I don't want to stress them out and she isn't messing with him at all, she just was worried : ( If anyone has any suggestions for me please let me know.

fried green eggs

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2011
S.E. Michigan
Sorry your bird was attacked. I would flush the injuries well with plain saline solution and if bleeding is minimal just, put neosporin w/ pain reliever in and around the injuries. Keep it quite and hopefully it will heal quickly.

Scarletpyxi

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 23, 2012
What would work for pain relief? Thank you so much for replying...I was starting to panic!

Scarletpyxi

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 23, 2012
The pain relief may also now be more needed because he has started to limp and keep his weight on the other foot, I can tell it is hurting for him to try and walk normally. I am also really worried about stressing him out too much while I apply meds but I don't know how to avoid stressing him too much.

cowcreekgeek

Songster
7 Years
Sep 14, 2012
Hurricane, WV
My 3 1/2 month old male Saxony was attacked tonight by what may have been a fox or racoon. He is very calm right now but looks like he has a puncture wound on his head and some sort of bleeding at the top of his leg/on his side. The bleeding appears to have stopped but I am unsure about the best course of treatment/diagnosis of the injuries. If anyone can help me figure out a treatment plan and possible pain management I would be deeply grateful. He is walking fine and holding up his head and behaving relatively normally. I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Visit the following post, which outlines treatment of the wounds, and review the entire thread: The victim's owner did an excellent job of relaying his AV's treatment of his hen, which had been badly attacked by a dog (80 stitches in all).

As to pain relief? Aspirin can be given:

Dissolve five (5 grain) aspirin tablets in one gallon of water.
Offer this solution free-choice to the birds for the duration of an illness. The solution aspirin equivalent to 25 grains/gallon or 324 mg/gallon of drinking water. The dosage rate is about 25 mg/lb body weight per day.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom