Help keeping my chickens in one place

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Thread-wing, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Thread-wing

Thread-wing New Egg

Apr 21, 2012
    I love my free range chickens, but my wife loves her gardens, so we've come to the agreement to split our acre long yard down the middle, with my birds out back an her flowers closer to the house. Problem is, my hens are strong flyers, and can easily jump the five foot wooden fence dividing the yard. My wife doesn't want to raise the fence as she thinks it will look ugly, and I agree. I've tried clipping their wings, but they somehow still manage to get over.

Is there any other way to keep my black sexlinks on their side of the fence without raising it?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You could try an extension that angles in toward the hens at the top.
    Then when your sex links need to be replaced, get a breed that can't or doesn't prefer to fly.
    I had a Jersey Giant that knew there were tomatoes on the other side and would fly over a 5 foot fence.
    I have Black Penedesencas that will stay inside a 2 foot fence.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  3. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I tried the route of getting heavier breeds that would not or could not jump fences. AND they did somehow...... Could you start them a compost pile full of wormies? Maybe if they find that the run is the place for all the good treats they will stay put and not want to wander into the flower garden. My chickens absolutely love scratching in the compost pile. They also like the flock block thingy and once in a while I put a buggy decomposing log in the run and they have fun with that. I also toss in berries that I find. Water melon, pumpkins - all good stuff that keeps them in the run and not out.

Caroline

4. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How high of a extension did you add and how was it attached? Could you post a pic?

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Mine were angled upward and inward at the top of the existing fence. It was just 18inch plastic netting but worked pretty well. It isn't there any more so no pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by