HELP!!! Killing or Breeding?

Quote:
I had a little roo like that and he lives with someone else....I was told he was a game bird and fighting was in his genes. HE would fight to the death with our other roos. Won a ribbon at the county fair he was so pretty but what a jerk......Kind of like humans the cute ones are always jerks!!! LOL
gig.gif

The next time he attacks, hit him with a stick until he ceases his attack. The time after that, raise the same stick as if you were going to hit him again. As long as he continues to attack, continue to hit him. Eventually, he should stop attacking without having to hit him. From then on, simply raising the stick will stop his aggression.

Oh yeah, make sure you use the same stick and mark it. Tie a ribbon around it or paint it, just make sure that it is easy to tell apart from other sticks. I keep a red ribbon around my chick stick.

Tonight he attacked my beautiful white Ameraucana bantum hen :mad:

He fought all day with all the full size roosters. He's just a hell raiser. When they went in to roost he sat on a perch much higher than every one else and crowed constantly. So he thinks he is the boss of all the other roosters and chickens. I will see if i can get him still long enough to take a picture of him.

He looks so pretty but acts so ugly.

Question:
If i put the roosters in a separate pen. What do i do with them during the day time when everyone free ranges?.... keep them locked up?

I have a large run for my birds, so I plan to let them free range in shifts until the extra boys go into the freezer, which may mean they take turns with different days, or if I can tempt them back into their run, I may range the boys in the morning, and the girls after they finish laying for the day. I'm going to see if i can tempt the boys back into their run (once we finally finish it) with a treat.

Quote:
I don't know what it is about those Cornish X girls, but we have one and Lucille is the most popular girl with the roos. Our Cornish X roo mated with her so often (and so roughly, he was huge) that her back got completely shredded one day and we had to segregate him immediately. Earl is gone now and she's all healed up, but now we have a couple of adolescent Buff Orp roos who like to tag-team her. They don't do it to any of the pullets their own age, just Lucille. It would almost be funny to watch if it wasn't so upsetting to her - I shove them off and chase them around so the poor girl can have some peace.

Finally last weekend I segregated 3 of the 6 roos in a separate pen and everyone has been much happier and calmer. I highly recommend you do this with your troublemaker(s). My rooster pen is large enough for the boys to semi-free-range in, but if you're worried about yours feeling cooped up, you could let them out on alternating shifts.

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't know what it is about those Cornish X girls, but we have one and Lucille is the most popular girl with the roos. Our Cornish X roo mated with her so often (and so roughly, he was huge) that her back got completely shredded one day and we had to segregate him immediately. Earl is gone now and she's all healed up, but now we have a couple of adolescent Buff Orp roos who like to tag-team her. They don't do it to any of the pullets their own age, just Lucille. It would almost be funny to watch if it wasn't so upsetting to her - I shove them off and chase them around so the poor girl can have some peace.

Finally last weekend I segregated 3 of the 6 roos in a separate pen and everyone has been much happier and calmer. I highly recommend you do this with your troublemaker(s). My rooster pen is large enough for the boys to semi-free-range in, but if you're worried about yours feeling cooped up, you could let them out on alternating shifts.

That is amazing our cornish girl is named LUCY too!
I joke with her and sing "My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard" LOL

Last edited:
Quote:
That sounds more like a strategy to use with a roo that is attacking humans. This one attacks the hens. You'd have to stand guard over the hens and shadow the roo constantly throughout the daylight hours to beat your roo with a stick every time he attacked a hen. Most people don't have that much spare time. As much as I dislike a violent roo, I think I dislike the idea of hitting a bird with a stick even more.

Getting rid of a problem roo is easy, eat him. If you give him away or sell him, he just becomes a problem for somebody else, and gets to add his bad disposition genes to the pool. There are way too many sweet natured roos to waste time and effort on a bad one.

Quote:

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
Sorry couldn't help it....."But Earl had to die nah nah nah na naaaaa naaaa naaaa. "

Back
Top Bottom