HELP! leaking!

If it's leaking at screw holes, then chances are you misdrove the screw -- either it's in too tight and the gasket has broken (you *did* use the special gasketed screws for metal roofing, yes?) or it's not in tight enough so there is space around the gasket. You can visually check for either of those -- viewed from the side, the sides of the gasket should bulge out just a little, not be straight nor really 'puffed out'. If the screw is loose, tighten it; if it's too tight you should remove it, stick a toothpick in the hole in the wood, and drive in a replacement screw (the old gasket will never be the same again).

The only other possibility I know of, again assuming you used gasketed roofing screws, is - could you have accidentally 'doubled' those holes? I.e. started the hole one place, then moved over an eighth of an inch and did it again, so that there is a small 'leaker' hole in addition to what the screw goes thru. Even if it's covered by the gasket, those will leak. For those, I would put on a big ol' goober of exterior long-life caulk. It will look a little doofy if your roof is any color other than white, but better a blob of caulk than leakage
wink.png

Good luck,

Pat

Get some karnak from home depot or lowes. It's the stickiest, nastiest, worst smelling gack you'll ever find. It sure plugs leaks though. We used to heat it up and put it on with cheap rag mops. The rain will think twice before falling on it!!!
big_smile.png

My grandfather used a product called Kool Seal as he had an old farm house with a tin roof. I've noticed the company is still around. It looks like liquid metal and is applied with a roller. It is listed as being for sale at Home Improvement places like Lowes.

Oh, ok, old roof, gotcha
smile.png

If the roof is easiily accessible, back the screws out and replace them with new, somewhat longer ones.

If not, if it's just a couple leaks go with the 'goober of caulk' technique.

If it is leaking all over, then you want the roof sealant that you paint on -- if this is, like, a drive shed or barn, you might oughta call a barn painting company as they can do a much better and safer job than you can, but if it's just a wee little chicken coop try the stuff from the hardware store.

Pat, having done all three things in various places to the leaky barn roof here
smile.png

It's our pole barn. We just bought this place in August.

Since we had to tear down one of the old hen houses, we needed a place to put the new group of chicks (now 10 wks old), so we made a coup out of 1 of the stalls (there are 6).
Fortunately, the end where we put the coup doesn't leak, but there are several small leaks and I can see daylight in several of the nail holes.
Would it just be better to have the entire roof coated with something?

This is the pole barn and the second coup in the pic is the 1 we just recently tore down.

IMG_0389_2.jpg

Yeah, call a barn-painting company, tell them your roof leaks and you want it coated.

Some people suggest caulking obvious holes first; some say the caulk will mess up how the paint-y stuff adheres and cause it to flake off and renew the leak. I have never been able to really satisfy myself which camp is correct
tongue.png

Good luck, nice pole barn
smile.png

Pat

Back
Top Bottom