Help! Leghorn male or female??

bathchickengirl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 28, 2013
These were purchased at Meyer Hatchery on April 15 (2 days old). One laid her first egg this week but I am not sure which one. I have noticed over the past 2 weeks that they are looking a little different from one another. I guess it could be normal for 2 leghorn girls to have a slightly different look- right?? Please let me know what you think. They are exactly the same size and neither of them is crowing.
Any help is appreciated!
[/IMG]

It could be either of them, but I would vote the top one just because it has a bigger comb and looks a little redder in the face. Would think that whichever one did not lay the egg should be starting up pretty soon also.

Well- the problem is that I thought they were both girls! I should have been more clear. Do you think they could both be girls or did I wind up with another roo?

Need whole body pictures to tell for sure, but at 16-18 weeks old the males usually have even more comb and wattle than that. It is not unusual for girls to have different looking combs, usually the combs on the girls will flop over like the top one when they get older and more mature, but some will stay standing.

Probably not the best photos but their bodies, tail feathers, neck feathers, size etc. appear to be identical! I can take a whole body **** tomorrow when the sun comes up! Thank you for the input!
1f413.png

These were purchased at Meyer Hatchery on April 15 (2 days old). One laid her first egg this week but I am not sure which one. I have noticed over the past 2 weeks that they are looking a little different from one another. I guess it could be normal for 2 leghorn girls to have a slightly different look- right?? Please let me know what you think. They are exactly the same size and neither of them is crowing.
Any help is appreciated!
[/IMG]

The top is a hen and the bottom is a roo I believe.

Need whole body pictures to tell for sure, but at 16-18 weeks old the males usually have even more comb and wattle than that. It is not unusual for girls to have different looking combs, usually the combs on the girls will flop over like the top one when they get older and more mature, but some will stay standing.
x2 full body shots if you want to be sure, but I'm thinking females, both.

Hi BYC Friends!
Here are the full body shots!
I am fairly certain the 1st photo of the flopy comb Leghorn is a female. I posted 3 pictures of the other which is the one I was looking for input on.
Thank you all!

Back
Top Bottom