HELP! Lethargic chicken, feathers missing, not eating

Well, now looking at that photo, I'm also wondering about salpingitis. I'm no expert on this one, but it would be another possibility worth considering.

I feel virtually like a broken record and/or a monomaniac for this, but seriously, droopiness was the very first symptom I noticed in my three birds that all died of (unconfirmed) Marek's disease. I knew nothing at the time of Marek's--I was totally ignorant of it. I even named the pullet "Sleepy" because she would take what appeared to be mini catnaps, sleeping for several seconds--up to 10 or 15 or so--at a time, at least once per five minutes throughout the day (still on her feet). She would droop her head while doing so, and, when roosting, would hang her head downward (this symptom took a little longer to develop, as I recall). The other pullet, not "Sleepy," was the one that showed the eye problems. Each of my "Marek's" birds seemed to exhibit a different set of symptoms, but not wanting to eat--to varying degress--was a common thread, eventually, for all three of them. It was painful to see their retarded development and eventual wasting away due to lack of caloric input. Not knowing about Marek's meant I was slow to catch on.

You may not be dealing with Marek's, but it would be wise not to be ignorant of it.
I will keep an eye out for further symptoms of it, thank you.

Ok I offered her some wetted feed, and she ate some! I had her outside the run so the other hens didn’t bug us and she also nibbled on some grass!

She pooped on a paver so I got a really clear photo. Is the white worms? I didn’t think so but I’m new at this.
View attachment 3182163
The white is urates.

Have you ever dewormed her?
The thin and sporadic poop, she may have a blockage or inflammation in the body.

The white is urates.

Have you ever dewormed her?
The thin and sporadic poop, she may have a blockage or inflammation in the body.
I have not dewormed her. Would you advise doing so?

I had thought the thin/sporadic poop was because she has not been eating but rather only drinking water.

I have not dewormed her. Would you advise doing so?

I had thought the thin/sporadic poop was because she has not been eating but rather only drinking water.
I've found that always drinking or drinking a lot usually indicates a crop and/or digestive issue. Which I would treat. Most of the time this is due to an underlying condition like a reproductive disorder, but worms and/or infection can slow the process as well.

It's best to get a fecal float if possible so you can confirm worms, but if that's not possible, then deworming may be next logical step in treatment. If that's something you wish to do, then I'd use Fenbendazole (Safeguard Liquid Goat Wormer) which can be found at TSC.
Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days.

@Wyorp Rock I think I have a new symptom, or she is close to death:

I was just outside between meetings with her, offering her more wet mash and trying to catch a poop to bring to a vet, and after she ate some mash, she was walking and sort of collapsed on her side, leaning against the side of the run. Her eye was twitching, like her 3rd eyelid was closing and opening, all the while her regular eyelid was closing shut involuntarily. It almost seemed like..... she either passed out or had seizure activity? I thought she was passing so I just petted her and tried to comfort her. Lasted about 15 seconds then she just popped back up, eyes open and alert.

Am I just prolonging her suffering at this point? It's hard to know when to call it, but I keep hoping I can save her..

@Wyorp Rock I think I have a new symptom, or she is close to death:

I was just outside between meetings with her, offering her more wet mash and trying to catch a poop to bring to a vet, and after she ate some mash, she was walking and sort of collapsed on her side, leaning against the side of the run. Her eye was twitching, like her 3rd eyelid was closing and opening, all the while her regular eyelid was closing shut involuntarily. It almost seemed like..... she either passed out or had seizure activity? I thought she was passing so I just petted her and tried to comfort her. Lasted about 15 seconds then she just popped back up, eyes open and alert.

Am I just prolonging her suffering at this point? It's hard to know when to call it, but I keep hoping I can save her..
Can you get her to drink nutri drench from a small cup, dip her beak in until she drinks, or sweetened water, with maple syrup or honey, I would also force feed her lightly scrambled yolk. She needs to eat.

Can you get her to drink nutri drench from a small cup, dip her beak in until she drinks, or sweetened water, with maple syrup or honey, I would also force feed her lightly scrambled yolk. She needs to eat.
I will try this. I have gotten her to eat some small amounts of feed mixed with water throughout the day.

Alright I got her to eat some scrambled egg yolk and some small sips of water mixed with maple syrup. It wasn’t much but between that and some of the mash, she has had more to eat today than the last several days combined.

She did have 2 more collapsing episodes in the yard. Her feathers kind of fluff out and she goes rigid and lays on her side. Her eyes did not close or twitch for these two collapsing episodes.

@Wyorp Rock tonight I did the first dose of the wormer that you recommended and also dusted her with permethin in case it is mites and I’m just not seeing/realizing/knowing what I’m looking for. I also re-did the egg bound finger test just in case I made a newbie mistake, no egg.

Fingers crossed, I will update in the morning.

Thanks everyone for helping me. I hope my poor girl makes it.

Back
Top Bottom