chantecler

Songster
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Moncton New Brunswick
HI All

My chickens have lice -
th.gif

1. Does DE work on a well established lice infestation?

2. How do I apply DE directly on my chickens?

3. When do I repeat? 10days?

Thanks so much!
N
hit.gif

If you search for DE posts you will find LOTS of info.....

Even though it is supposed to kill lice, I'm going to say that it is more of a preventative than a treatment. You will probably have to look into something else to treat the infestation if it is really bad. If it has just started you might be able to just use the DE.

I just put some in a bucket and sit my birds one at a time in the bucket and take handfuls and rub it in good under their wings, around their neck etc. Once they're nicely coated..LOL they hop out and shake off the excess
wink.png
Some people put it in socks and 'pat' them down... being sure to get under the wings etc.

I also like to add DE to the bedding and even toss it onto the walls and corners to help deter crawling bugs.

Speaking of which.... I need to go buy a new bag
tongue.png

I think for a bad infestation, you'll want to use Seven dust or a dust made specifically for chickens.

I am having a battle royal with mites myself right now, I use permetherin poultry dust and it didn't kick them the first time i treated them 2 weeks ago, Now i have to go thru all the cleaning again so make sure you dust them really well. I made the mistake of using an old can of poultry dust which must have gotten damp and deactivated the permethrin. Its a huge chore especially when you have several pens between the house and garage like i do but the chickens will definately be thankful. I also use DE in their bedding and nests as a prevenative and they still got them.

Last edited:
Thanks all

I'm going to hit them with eprinex this weekend.
Then dust the entire coop with DE and use DE as a preventative.

I'll keep you posted on how it works out.

smile.png

I think you need to be careful not to breathe in the DE while you're using it, that it can be an awful lung irritant. Can someone verify this, or correct me if I'm wrong?

I use 5% Sevin dust on my birds for mites & have found it to be very effective. I put some in the toe of an old stocking and pat it like a powder puff on the birds. I put some on the back of their necks, under each wing, and under their tail around the vent.

When I clean out the coops and/or change the straw in the nest boxes I sprinkle some Sevin dust or DE on the floor/bottoms. I also sprinkle Sevin dust around the nest boxes of broody hens.

Quote:
What, Sevin Dust or DE?

I would NOT put Sevin on their food. It seems to be okay if they peck in & around it on the ground, but I wouldn't add more to their food, not on purpose.

But I do put DE in their feed sometimes, enough to make it look like sugar-frosted pellets. I can't afford to do it every day, but do it periodically, maybe once or twice a month.

Back
Top Bottom