help! light broke

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Axle Quails, May 27, 2011.

1. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    Help my heat light bulb broke and my chicks and duckling is only 2 weeks old and it night time here and no where is open :s

2. Axle Quails

May 1, 2011
    London
    Anyone ???

3. Axle Quails

May 1, 2011
    London
    Anyone ???

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    When we had a power outage, I boiled water and filled a milk jug with it. You could also fill a sock with rice and pop it in the microwave- it'll stay nice and toasty for quite a while. Good luck!

5. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Your chicks, at two weeks, will be fine. I agree with the above poster--hot water bottles and microwaved rice pillows are good. You could also build a fire/put them by your heating unit/turn up the heat really high in one room.
    You might want to give them a normal light, just so they don't freak out because of the darkness.

6. honda_DT

honda_DT Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    boil some water, put the water into a ziplock bag then put another ziplick over it then put that into a sock. You should probably use 2 or 3 of these

7. Atomic Ranch

Atomic Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    Snuggle?

Heating pad?

Electric blankie?

When you go buy a new light, perhaps get two [​IMG]

I think they'll be okay.

8. Axle Quails

May 1, 2011
    London
    I. Had 4 and now they all blew I bought one 5 weeks ago and I only used like 2 weeks ago and it judt blew so now. We got to get a heat light in the morning - I used 3 bottles of hot water and put in their and they dont seem to want it they walk away :s

9. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    What kind of socket do you have? Is it rated for that much wattage? I like the ceramic socket. I does not get hot like the plastics do. I find that I can use two of the 100 watt flood lights that are red from home-depot and it works just as well. I am afraid of the thin red heat light, they are so fragile. I hope your chicks slept well and warm they are really not as fragile as we think sometimes. Mine traveled on a very cold night and day of 31 degrees in the mail and were still fine. Gloria Jean

10. Atomic Ranch

Atomic Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    Hmm... might be a fault in the socket or circuit... the bulbs shouldn't be blowing like that. If the housing is underrated for the lamp, that'll cause blow-outs, too. Kinda dangerous even. Have some metal wire between the lamp and bedding to be safe. I agree with crazyhen-- ceramics are best. I've kept an old 250 (from my folks' old heat light in their bathroom) going for 3 weeks.

And don't worry, I also agree that they're more resilient than we might assume. I was worried last night when I put my chicks outside for the first time. They did fine. If they walk away from your water bottles then they're plenty warm enough [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by