Help, LIL Chick not doing well

WindyOaksYokes

Songster
12 Years
Jul 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Hi all,

I need some advice, I have a chick that is about 2 weeks old. It is hlf the size of the other guys, and its belly is swollen. I have made sure its little toosh was clean of anything that could have plugged it. It seems to be holding its own, but does seem week. Feathers are not as far along as the others that are the same age... I have tried feeding it, giving and giving it water, but it does not seem to want to do either... Should I just stop it's suffering (if it is) or is there something I can do?

Please Help!
idunno.gif

Tes

Is it looking droopy at all? Wings hanging a bit low? We have had 2 now like that, 1 out of each of the last two batches. Do you have them on chick starter feed? I can only suggest to have it on chick starter and see if you can get some Sulmet (Sold at feed stores) liquid and put a small bottle cap full in a half gallon of water for it to drink. It is a coccidiostat and also helps with other ailments. Didn't know about it on the first one but perked up the second.

what bedding are you using?
what all are you feeding?
is he drinking water?

is he making droppings?
if so..describe in detail..color and consistency.

if he isn't..
might sound weird..but try using a damp warm cloth and stimulate the butt..
give some watered molasses by drops on beak.

Well it made it thru the night. No, it is not droopy, but in the same aspect it is not running and lively either. Wings up, no issues there. Pretty much just stands in one place, moves a little to get with the others for comfort. I have separated it but it kept shivering and I guess couldn't stay warm, so put it back with the others. No it is not really eating or drinking. the bedding I am using is the same bedding I am using for the other 100 that I have at the moment which is pine mulch mixed with a little cedar to keep the smell down. Eating the same food as all the others, dumor 20% chick starter.

The first thing I did, was clean his little but with a warm cloth, that is how I knew it was not stopped up, yes, did stimulate it... I will try the molasses. What about electrolytes?

dl I think you are right.. I will let you all know how she fairs.. I really do not want to loose any of my little babies!!! This is that terrible part that I hate about raising chickens...
th.gif

Thanks all.... Tes

I did forget to add that she is 1, almost 2 weeks old... still looks like she is about 4 days old for the size anyways. Also, naval is perfectly normal. I will check on here throughout the day for suggestions, and keep you all posted of how she does... going to go give her a little treat now...

Thanks again...

Just thought I would let you know that she seems to be doing well - I have finally put her by herself, she is eating, drinking, and seems to be doing okay for now. By the way, she is pooping greenish brown - solid - with the white spot, normal? I gave her vitamins and just seeing how it goes for now.

I will update if any changes occur...

Thanks for the thoughts/advice!

Tes

Okay, well, I thought I would post a pic of this lil one... both of chicks are the same age... 3 weeks old. What is wrong with this lil one? She is eating and drinking well. I have been giving her vitamins. Her fecal is normal and not caking or sticking to her bottom.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of what is wrong or what else I can do with her??? I am completely at a loss.
idunno.gif

lilchick-1.jpg

lilchick1.jpg

Sometimes one just doesn't grow as fast as the others. If you are giving her vitamins (Poly-Vi-Sol) and she is eating and drinking and pooping - just let her be and wait and see. I wouldn't separate her because she would be lonely but I would make sure that if you have 100 chicks that there are several feeders so that everyone, espeically the weaker and quieter ones, can get to the feed.

Also, you said you use cedar bedding which shouldn't be used because it can be toxic to chicks.

Back
Top Bottom