Help! Little yellow rice like things crawling all over my hens!!!

I have no idea what they are! There are a ton of them and they are everywhere!
I have been sop careful about my birds, keeping them clean, and well dusted, so i cant understand where they came from!
How do i get rid of them without hurting my birds???
Should I post pictures? There so small I dont know if they will be clear enough to see, please help me T_T

Sounds like lice. Are you dusting them with DE, or actual poultry dust or Sevin dust? DE is about worthless, contrary to what you read here. Poultry Dust, like ProZap should work. Or Seviin dust from home improvement stores.

Quote:
+1

An actual pesticide like mentioned above is what I mean by dust with something that kills pests. I've used Sevin dust in the past with success when I ended up bringing it to my flock with a pair of chicks out from under someone else's broody.

Quote:
I agree with the lice they will look like rice. I think mites are much smaller like very fine pepper in either red or black with the eggs being off white attached to the feathers.
Sevin dust should do the trick but use the less concentrated version. I think 5% but not sure.

Ivermectin (Ivomec) POUR ON on their back... 6 drops for large standards (Orps, Sussex), 5 drops for most LF (BR, RIR, ect ect), 4 for light weight LF (Leghorns and most white layers), and 2-3 drops for bantams. Kills mites, lice, worms... internal and external parasites.

Quote:
Magots! Oh dont say that, there crawling all over my hens backside, and there are little clumps of white egg like things attached tot he bottom of there feathers.

Quote:
Its just a regular bird dusting that you get at the pet store, wont seven just end up hurting them? What if they peck at it?

Back
Top Bottom