Help! live chick in egg kicked out of nest

Its Just Us Chickens

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Mississippi
We have 2 hens sitting on the same nest, and they kicked some eggs out. One of them had a live chick in it, the egg was cracked, and there is a little blood showing on the outside of the egg. Help! what do we do with it?

Dh is working on putting together a homemade incubator real fast. What should we do about the egg being cracked and the show of blood between the shell and membrane

Yes, you can put some tape over the crack...how far out from lock down is it?
If there was not much bleeding then the baby chick may still have a chance......But seriously...until the bator is ready, stick the egg IN YOUR BRA...body heat does wonders for the little ones

How long have they been brooded?

I agree with the other posters.

Keep it in your bra til the incubator is up to temp.

Tape the crack.

have lamp on it and have it about 99 to 102........chick is peeping some and moving a bit...leave it in shell or help it out of it.......some one said if membrane dries then it will die......most of the shell is cracked and can see the chicks beak.....

Last edited:
5843564682_ac32d50d2f.jpg

You can't see the chick real well in this pic, but it's beak and part of the body are visible. The blood is between the egg and membrane.

There are 2 hens sitting on this nest, I don't know if that's why this poor guy got kicked out or what. I've never had 2 hens on the same nest before.

Back
Top Bottom