HELP! Losing chicks!

Wow...this is awful.
sad.png

Due to their long journey, some of the chicks may have a weakened system which would make them more susceptible to problems when exposed to minute amounts of toxins.

Do you have a well? If so, maybe the water is contaminated just enough to cause them to become ill. Or, if you're on city water, perhaps it was recently treated chlorine or whatever they use. Try switching to bottled water and see if that makes a difference....

Another possibility could be the freezer. Is it plastic lined? What was used for cleaning? Freezers are made for cold conditions so maybe the heat is causing toxic fumes.

I can't even begin to imagine the stress you're experiencing during this... I hope the situation gets better soon!
hugs.gif

We have a well, but because we are a business it is tested every three months, so it's not the well and all the other chickens are using it too.

Cleaned the freezer with bleach and water and then wiped it down... previous batch of chicks were in there and no troubles.

I hope this is the LAST of it.... it's well ventilated... I don't know what else to say? Anymore questions are welcome, maybe someone will think of something off the wall!!

We lost 2 out of 12. We did everything that we could for them. Sometimes chicks don't do well. They are very fragile. My wife had a hard time with them, but the rest are doing well and are about 2 weeks old now. I think the first week is a big one to make it over.

Back
Top Bottom