Help! Lost a chick. What do I do now?

Michelle Hallee

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2020
Austin, TX
Hello all- new to back yard chicken raising. Bought 4 pullets a couple months ago. They are now about 13-14 weeks old. I lost my RIR Friday - got sick and died all in one day. The other three seem to be perfectly healthy. Should I get another chick to replace Roxy or just leave the three of them? I appreciate your wisdom and advice.
Michelle

So sorry for your loss.
I would leave it with the 3 for now. Integration is not something I would want to mess with for the winter. I normally do integrations in the spring and summer.
Do you have any clues as to what caused Roxy to die? Any clues would help us to figure this out.
Was she eating and drinking normally?
What is the temperature where you are at?
Was she sneezing or acting lethargic?

She was fine then Thursday evening she was all puffed up and lethargic and her feet were cold. Laying on the ground, laying in the coop. She was not eating but when I gave her water right next to her she was very thirsty. She was not sneezing, no runny eyes, no yucky poops or weirdness on her booty. I dusted her with DE really well and she seemed to get/feel better but then died a couple hours later.
We live in Austin, Texas and the weather was typical fall weather - about 90 and no rain but we did have 2 days a heavy rain earlier in the week.

She was fine then Thursday evening she was all puffed up and lethargic and her feet were cold. Laying on the ground, laying in the coop. She was not eating but when I gave her water right next to her she was very thirsty. She was not sneezing, no runny eyes, no yucky poops or weirdness on her booty. I dusted her with DE really well and she seemed to get/feel better but then died a couple hours later.
We live in Austin, Texas and the weather was typical fall weather - about 90 and no rain but we did have 2 days a heavy rain earlier in the week.
It's hard to say what she died of unless you get a necropsy. There are so many things that could have gone wrong.

Back
Top Bottom