Help! Lost Rooster!

jenthechicken

Hatching
Sep 2, 2016
Help! We got a new rooster and he ran away! We brought him home and introduced him to the ladies. They took to him wonderfully. However, when they went into the coop last night, he was no where to be found. We live in a very wooded area. We searched high and low and couldn't find him. I don't know what to do! We searched everywhere this morning to no avail! Please help!

If you live in a very wooded area its most likely a predator got em' sorry to say
hmm.png
if you get new chickens you should lock them up in the coop the first nights so he learns to go up into the coop at night

I'm realizing I shouldn't have let him range with the girls all day and just kept him in the run. I feel really bad. I hope he turns up.
1f622.png

Its all right i'd once made the same mistake with some ducks, i locked them up the first night and they were fine! so i let them stay out the second night 3 out of 8 were missing
idunno.gif
i really hope your rooster turns up soon and that hes alright

A rooster won't run away from hens. A predator probably took him. Depending on where you are foxes will be very active soon, and take chickens without a trace. If that's what happened, the fox will be back for more. Playing a radio outside when the chickens free range will keep a fox away.

I would agree with others that there's a chance it was a predator, however, if you just got him yesterday and he doesn't know where his home is he may have roosted in a tree overnight and may come out once he sees your hens out and about... I've had this happen before with a new rooster and they're better at hiding than you would think... keep your eyes peeled the first couple hours this morning. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom