Help!...Low Temp-High Humidity

rroven

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
lexington, SC
So I got the eggs yesterday...11 of them...had the bator on for a day but could not get the temps up or the humidity down. Took water out of bator (HovaBator 1602 borrowed- no book) humidity is still 75% and raising but I have gotten the temp up to 101.5 and holding. Won't touch that now. What I need to know is if the humidity is gonna do bad things to the eggs? and how long will they be able to stand it without being cooked? New bator coming either tomorrow or monday.

Get the Humidity DOWN to between 30-50% for the first 18 days, then up to about 75% the last few days. That much humidity and high heat will damage them.

You should not have put eggs in until it is working right. Those wafer models need to run for several days to make sure everything is going to function normally.

Being from Ga I understand your humidity down there in SC. What are using to measure humidity? And does it have fresh batteries? Next would be to take out the water and test the natural humidity over the next several hours. Open a plug and let the moisture evaporate. Humidity is directly linked to your temperatures. Your temps will flunctuate and then even out after several hours. You want the reading at the top of the eggs to be stable at 101 - 102. Make sure it is a room with consistant temps that do not change more than 10 degrees day or night.

If you can't get to regulate you may need a new wafer.

Good luck.

I find with mine hovabator once the temperature is right the humidity seems to follow along when the temp is to high then the humidity is to high i assume because the extra heat evaporates the water faster I'm getting?? Fill the water trough get the temp stable I think the humidity will follow on it's own if you keep the troughs full that you are suppose too.

Oh and the temp is probably going up because the internal temp of the eggs has gotten to where it should be rather then them being cold, you will have to adjust temp down I think.

Last edited:
The humidity will reflect what is in your house since that is where the incubator is getting it's air from. Try a drier area in your home and don't put any water in the bator. Is your bater a fan or still air model? Check the accuracy of your hygrometer, too, if you can.
Your eggs can wait up to 7 or 8 days after being laid before you need to get the going.
jumpy.gif

I took the water out last nite because the humidity was at 87%, the temps last nite were only 93. I finally have the temps up to something reasonable and believe it or not the humidity did go down to 75%....and what is a wafer?

Quote:
The eggs were already 5 days old when I got them so they were nearing the point of no return especially after being enroute and unturned for 2 of those days so thats why they ended up going into the bator.

Back
Top Bottom