High chance of failure since humidity was high?

therealmargoose

Hatching
Jul 30, 2023
Hello everyone. I am an amateur hatcher myself (this is my first incubation...ever), and was brought in to the hobby when my friend gave me 6 Coturnix eggs. So far, 2 have shown no development, and were cast out, and the other 4 are cooking away! 2 are fairly close to hatching, I would say day 15-16, the other two still need some time, day 10-12. My incubator is a cheap beginners incubator I got off Amazon. It holds temp well and humidity according to my point source thermometer kept inside. However, the humidity has been fairly high, 70-75% throughout the entire incubation. The air gaps seem small. My question is this: will the high humidity and small airgap cause a high mortality rate in the chicks during hatching? How many of you have experienced drowned chicks as a result of high humidity? Let me know!

If quail are the same as chickens with respect to chick development than you have the chance that they have grown too big to be able to turn and zip the shell once they have pipped. That's what happens in the chicken world if the humidity was too high. They will grow too much and not be able to turn and die at hatch.

Back
Top Bottom