Help- Lower beak break? Graphic picture warning.

Rach403

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 29, 2016
Hello, we had a coon attack in my coop, and lost about 80 percent of our chickens. We thought we had the issue fixed, and they came back for more. We ended up with 3 injured chickens. I have had my fair share of tubing, chicken issues, etc. I usually can handle anything that comes my way.

The second attack left me with a chicken with a chicken with a broken lower jaw. I have been able to tube feed her, however I have no idea how to help her. Tubing is fine, she can swallow, she still makes noises. Any ideas on how to help this problem? This picture was taken after I got the blood to stop but hopefully you can see the issue.

Attachments

• PXL_20230206_193314207.jpg
    PXL_20230206_193314207.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20230206_193309343.jpg
    PXL_20230206_193309343.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 13
Oops put the wrong thing. 1/2 a ml of the childrens pain and fever relief.

Again, not correct. That could be anything from Tylenol to ibuprofen, neither is good for a chicken. A chicken can have aspirin but I don't know the dose so will not be posting incorrect things to confuse the OP. Let's just wait for the experts that were tagged, shall we?

Again, not correct. That could be anything from Tylenol to ibuprofen, neither is good for a chicken. A chicken can have aspirin but I don't know the dose so will not be posting incorrect things to confuse the OP. Let's just wait for the experts that were tagged, shall we?
I actually have the dosage for aspirin (x amount of pill vs x amount of water) that given to me by a vet that looked it up. With me tube feeding I don't feel that it will be enough at this point to make a difference. My concern with this method is the fact that the formula has to be heated which seems like it's going to decrease the ability for it to work.

I do have metacam but do not have the dosage or know if it's safe for chickens, therefore I have not given that either.

Tubing is best at this time. 15 ml per pound of volume given 2-3 times a day is good. KayTee Exact baby bird feed is good to use. Uncooked egg, plain yogurt, and finely bround chicken feed with a lot of water can be tubed. An avian vet might be able to fix the lower beak, but I don’t know anything to suggest. Once or twice here, on BYC, someone‘s chicken lost the entire beak, and was eventually able to learn to eat on her own after months of tube feeding. Let us know how she gets along.

Tubing is best at this time. 15 ml per pound of volume given 2-3 times a day is good. KayTee Exact baby bird feed is good to use. Uncooked egg, plain yogurt, and finely bround chicken feed with a lot of water can be tubed. An avian vet might be able to fix the lower beak, but I don’t know anything to suggest. Once or twice here, on BYC, someone‘s chicken lost the entire beak, and was eventually able to learn to eat on her own after months of tube feeding. Let us know how she gets along.
We are feeding exact mixed with egg in it. This does give me some hope she may be ok. I have had to tube feed another chicken for months. I am comfortable doing that. I will definitely give updates. I appreciate your response! Avain vets would be several hours away from here.

Back
Top Bottom