Help making a decision!

Yourmom

Hatching
Apr 16, 2023
I had 3 roosters, 2 Buffs and a BR. The Buff were culled because one was attacking me and the other was being attacked by the others. I only ordered one rooster originally, the BR, I got 2 free roosters also. So now I have only the BR rooster who was always nice, now he comes after me, pecking and jumping at me. What do I do? He's the only rooster I have left for 16 hens. I thought BR were supposed to be the nicest roosters.

He seems to be a bad rooster as well. I’d suggest culling him and get a nice rooster from someone who needs to get rid of one. There isn’t really a “nice” rooster breed and it just depends on the personality. I hope you find a good rooster for your flock!

There seems to be no "cure" for human aggression. You either tolerate with adequate protections in place (considering he could fly/escape and go after children or visitors, with the potential of doing significant damage), or try another rooster after culling or a full disclosure rehoming.

I adopted an old rooster who had been a pet before. He is still human aggressive, unfortunately, but I grew up with mean boys around and I know this one isn't able to fly out of his zone or dexterous enough to strike with any precision. I just don't turn my back, ever, and neither does anyone working with my flock. My future strategy is to have a few of his sons grow up raised by hens and not overly familiar with humans, so he won't see me as part of the flock/competition he needs to supplant once grown.

I'm still experimenting to see how to get a really GOOD one, some folks would say I shouldn't be letting an aggressive boy reproduce at all! In the end they may be right, in which case I'll start over with new blood.

I had 3 roosters, 2 Buffs and a BR. The Buff were culled because one was attacking me and the other was being attacked by the others. I only ordered one rooster originally, the BR, I got 2 free roosters also. So now I have only the BR rooster who was always nice, now he comes after me, pecking and jumping at me. What do I do? He's the only rooster I have left for 16 hens. I thought BR were supposed to be the nicest roosters.
Behavior is not based on breed, it often has much to do with the keepers behaviors.

How old, in weeks or months, are these birds?
Did you raise them all from chicks?

How big, in feet by feet, is the coop and run?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

Do you really need a male in the flock?
If you are new to keeping chickens, might be good to go with an all female flock for the first year.

Behavior is not based on breed, it often has much to do with the keepers behaviors.

How old, in weeks or months, are these birds?
Did you raise them all from chicks?

How big, in feet by feet, is the coop and run?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

Do you really need a male in the flock?
If you are new to keeping chickens, might be good to go with an all female flock for the first year.
My flock is almost 9 months old and I got them as chicks. The coop is 7x12 and the run is probably 4-5 times bigger then the coop. They get egg layer, corn, oats, black oil sunflower seeds and kitchen scraps, limestone grit and crushed eggshells. I wanted fertilized eggs to potentially hatch some more chicks and a rooster to watch out for the hens. He didn't act like this toward me until he was the lone rooster. He used to eat out of our hand. Now I keep my eye on him and he pecks at my boots and follows me, even though I have to walk backwards to keep an eye on him!

two strategies i can suggest .. first, build him his own pen complete with sheltered perch off the back of the run you can lock him in to and only let him out with the others to breed .. control the food while he's out and always control his food so he associates his pen with where he gets to eat so you can get him in there ... secondly, you could look for a rooster breed or mix thats smaller and about the same weight as your hens, the smaller they are generally the less aggressive they are to larger things, like people ..

two strategies i can suggest .. first, build him his own pen complete with sheltered perch off the back of the run you can lock him in to and only let him out with the others to breed .. control the food while he's out and always control his food so he associates his pen with where he gets to eat so you can get him in there ... secondly, you could look for a rooster breed or mix thats smaller and about the same weight as your hens, the smaller they are generally the less aggressive they are to larger things, like people ..
Thanks for the helpful suggestions!!

Back
Top Bottom