Help making a guillotine door

Jadnils

Songster
7 Years
Apr 30, 2012
I am just finishing up the coop and want to put a guillotine type door on the front. The coop is 1/2" plywood. Can someone help me decide the best and easiest way to go about it? Pics would help, if I can see it, I can create it ! Thanks in advance.

Two 1x2's (Screwed directly to the plywood all the way top to bottom) and some cheap pine molding worked for me. I also used some string I had laying around and galvanized eyelets.

Thanks, Jon, I am just a bit confused about the best way to make the channels that the door slides down. I do have extra pieces of 1/2" plywood and some 1x2's.....

If you have access to a table saw that would be the best way. You could just set the blade depth and move the rail after each cut.

If that's not an option use two pieces of plywood, just make the one closer to the coop 1/2" smaller and screw them together. Then screw them onto the coop.

On mine I went the lazy route and didn't make a channel. I set the eye hook closer to the coop side so it would always pull toward the coop so as to not fall out.

... two pieces of plywood, just make the one closer to the coop 1/2" smaller and screw them together. Then screw them onto the coop...

You got 1/2" for the door. Use 3/4" flat wood stock for the piece closer to the coop and then for the wider pieces 1/2" plywood. That would give you 1/4" of "slop" to allow for the wood to swell during damp/wet weather.

Thanks , those are all great suggestions...I'll see what works best for us.

Back
Top Bottom