Help making an Aviary Netting decision

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by G-Man, Feb 25, 2012.

1. G-Man

G-Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello,

I'm at the point where I need to order the aviary netting for the top of my run.
    The dimensions are 12'W X 24'L x 8'H. I'm hoping this will protect my chickens from the birds of prey we have in our area.
    We only receive about one to two days of light snow in the winter; none this year. We do however endure a couple weeks worth of 100 degree days in the summer months, so I like the idea of the UV resistance.

The little bit of research I've done has led me to these two products Cutler supply carries.
    Does anyone have any personal experience, positive or negative with either of these products?
    Possibly better pricing, or quality from a different manufacture?
    What method did you use to attach your netting to your run?

Thank you for any help and suggestions you may have.

http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_36&products_id=929

[​IMG]

http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_117&products_id=920

[​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Here is another supplier you may want to check out: http://www.3tproducts.com/shop/pc/home.asp

They had good customer service so they would be able to answer questions, I think. We used the knotted because we were replacing it due to rips in the previous netting after snow weight, which is not an issue for you. I think I recall it was made from UV resistant material, but check the web site.

I was in charge of purchasing the materials, and my husband was in charge of installation. I think they ended up placing a piece of wood on top and nailing though the wood and netting into the top of the enclosure.

3. G-Man

Thank you for the link and the installation idea. Much better prices!

4. Zigmont

Zigmont Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011

I needed netting after hawk killed one of mine. I actually ended up with a 50 x 50 foot nylon netting from Amazon.com for 50 bucks! It is strong and big enough for you to double if you wanted to. I am quite pleased with the strength. Good luck!

5. G-Man

Looks good, how did you attach yours to the run?

6. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    We had a netting that was knotted but when we got snow, it was weighed down and broke. We bought the netting from Cutler and couldn't be happier. No problem with it this year.

7. G-Man

Was that within the first year? How much snow?

I'll let this run through the weekend and place my order on Monday.

Thank you for your responses.

8. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    It was about 5 inches on the ground. The netting material wasn't strong enough to hold it. I bought it because it was cheap. Won't do that again. All of my pens have the Cutler Supply netting.

9. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I bought my netting from a company off E-bay for alot less than Cutlers. It is knotted and has held up for several years thru Winters with heavy snow. The snow goes right thru it and any that does build up I just grab netting and the movement causes the snow to fall off.
    Even ice will not bring it down. I use zip ties to attach mine to sides...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by