Help! Malpositioned egg.

poultrymama

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2016
So this morning I have an early bird who decided to hatch day 19. He pipped in the middle of the egg and I can see blood on the membrane. When I candled I did see movement but no peeping. What do I do now?

All you can really do at this point is make sure the beak is clear under the pip. For me, I've had a lot of malpositioned eggs zip fine on their own. Some can't, though. So just give that guy some time and see what happens. When the chick pips directly through the membrane and not into the air cell that pip is actually their "internal" pip, so those eggs can take twice as long since they skipped a major step. I would say if there is no progress after 24 hours from now, you can peel a tiny bit of shell away, being careful not to rip the inner membrane. Then moisten the inner membrane and check for veins. You can also keep an eye on the veins by candling the air cell end and the pointy end. All of the veins (and the yolk) need to be absorbed before you can offer assistance.

I just realized I never updated! He didn't make any progress for 29 hours so I decided to help him out. He wouldn't have been able to zip. Not only was he *** backwards but had his head between his feet and he has a bit of wry neck. A special little birdy.

I just realized I never updated! He didn't make any progress for 29 hours so I decided to help him out. He wouldn't have been able to zip. Not only was he *** backwards but had his head between his feet and he has a bit of wry neck. A special little birdy.

Aww, poor baby. Good job on the assist. Are you treating him with supplements? Nutridrench, Vit E & selenium and Vit b work well if the wry neck is nutritional. Was all the yolk absorbed when he hatched?

The yolk was absorbed and there was no blood the veines were all empty. Once I got it open enough he shoved himself out on my hand. There was just no way he could have zipped. He's in his own rubbermaid and his water has the save a chick electrolyte in it and I have been giving him the poly vi sol twice daily. He is eating and drinking on his own.

Back
Top Bottom