Help... mama heating pad or heat plate?

I went the mama heating pad route because I already had one on hand and I’m brooding right against my house so the decreased fire risk is appreciated. My chicks have been loving it! It’s a 12”x18” (approx) and there’s plenty of room for my 21 chicks. They settle down at night and I don’t hear them at all. It’s on top of an oven rack, the whole thing wrapped in press n seal. That way no one can get trapped in between it and I can still use it after. It’s propped up on 2x4s, one side is higher than the other. I can add more when they get bigger. It’s nice that they can go in and out both sides so no one will get stuck in the back. They all run in and out as they need, just like they would with a broody hen. Happy as can be!

I think either choice would work fine. As I had an old heating pad w/o auto off, along with appropriate other items needed to make a MHP, I went that route. The only thing I had to buy to make it was a roll of Glad Press N Seal.

If I brooded more often I'd consider investing in a heat place, rather than having to reassemble the MHP each time I needed it.

I'm super curious about how this goes for you! We have a group of chicks now, a few more coming tomorrow, and then some more in a few weeks. I am thinking we may need two heating options at some point and I already have a seed-starting mat!
Last night all was quiet under the seedling mat so I am happy so far. I used a scrap of hardware cloth to make a frame this morning and they have been in and out all day so that's working too. I might wrap the mat to the hardware cloth with Press n'Seal as I have it on hand.

Last night all was quiet under the seedling mat so I am happy so far. I used a scrap of hardware cloth to make a frame this morning and they have been in and out all day so that's working too. I might wrap the mat to the hardware cloth with Press n'Seal as I have it on hand.
Just picked up our day-old chicks. I decided to give them the heat plate and gave the 2-week olds the seed mat! Wrapped it in hardware wire and then old towels and then press n seal. We will see how today goes - I'm so glad you posted and I saw it!!

Just picked up our day-old chicks. I decided to give them the heat plate and gave the 2-week olds the seed mat! Wrapped it in hardware wire and then old towels and then press n seal. We will see how today goes - I'm so glad you posted and I saw it!!
I didn't even do that much. I just lay the mat on top of the hardware cloth frame (edges covered with duct tape.) Today I added some shavings on top because the chicks were getting on top and slipping. Your old towel is probably a better solution.

Attachments

• 20200615_141341.jpg
    20200615_141341.jpg
    592.6 KB · Views: 21
So do you put the heating pad on top of the frame, or underneath the frame? I was seeing talk about underneath because they can get their heads stuck between frame and heating pad if it's on top.
And this is true! It just happened to one of my 9-day-old chicks. Fortunately, it didn't happen after my last evening check, but rather between my first and second morning checks, or I'm sure I would have a nonliving chick. I just didn't think they would be able to push up and in between the wire and pad - I thought it was laying on there quite "solid," but I obviously was almost deathly wrong. And it was my smallest chick. I was able to free her without any apparent harm. There definitely needs to be something coating the wire frame from the bottom side of it, and I'm going to try some press and seal. Any other ideas? It's 2" x 4" opening wire fencing.

Otherwise, I love the setup and so do the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom