Help! Mama Hen has had just 1 egg hatch!

alexaschicks

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2021
Broody mama wouldn’t break so we got her a gift of 4 (apparently) fertilized eggs. We wanted to be all natural and let her do her thing so we never candled- she has been so devoted to sitting and keeping these eggs safe. We had to lift her off the nest daily as she wasn’t caring for herself- we let her sit day 18 on. Today is the end of day 22 and only one chick hatched (morning of day 21.) She is delighted and mothering the baby, but still diligent to sit on her last 3 eggs. My questions are:
1. Do I run out a grab her another baby so the chick doesn’t have to be alone? I can’t imagine when mama abandons the chick having a flock animal be solo until it can join the flock. Seems cruel.
2. Her health is deteriorating in almost 100 degree weather daily- when do I take the eggs from her and tell her to get on with living and foraging with her baby? I’m concerned for her health but I read on here people sometimes give 2-3 days after day 21.
I feel like time is precious now- not just for her health, but also if I am to sneak another baby under her. Any advice welcomed!
Thank you!

Attachments

• 4AF2CE1E-4260-4CB6-87B7-A80E5E53F9DF.png
    4AF2CE1E-4260-4CB6-87B7-A80E5E53F9DF.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 100
Can you candle the other 3 eggs and see if they are good or not? Hens are fine with one chick, it's just that if you take it away and put it in a brooder it would need a friend. I'd let the hen have her 1 chick and not introduce diseases other chicks could bring.

If the eggs aren't good take them out of the nest. Then put the hen and baby out of the nest onto the floor together. When she sees there are no more eggs she won't return to sitting and will take care of her chick instead.

Can you candle the other 3 eggs and see if they are good or not? Hens are fine with one chick, it's just that if you take it away and put it in a brooder it would need a friend. I'd let the hen have her 1 chick and not introduce diseases other chicks could bring.
I agree with candling, but a day old chick from an NPIP certified facility would probably be fine. I had a broody hatch one chick, and that chick had a rough go of it. I will never have a broody raise a single chick ever again.

I've had broodies kill chicks they knew weren't theirs. If you get any more chicks make sure they are the same color. Unfortunately its happened several times. 😟

Bit off topic (sorry). Is she a corrination Sussex??? She is beautiful!!

I'd give her another day with the eggs, but would also candle them to make sure. You can put other chicks in there, I would do it at night and just put the chick under the hen (she won't notice/care as much) or if you don't want to do that put the other chick near the hen and other chick. She will peck at it if she doesn't want it, or will leave it and raise it as one of her own. I personally haven't have a broody kill chicks that weren't hers, but it does happen

Bit off topic (sorry). Is she a corrination Sussex??? She is beautiful!!

I'd give her another day with the eggs, but would also candle them to make sure. You can put other chicks in there, I would do it at night and just put the chick under the hen (she won't notice/care as much) or if you don't want to do that put the other chick near the hen and other chick. She will peck at it if she doesn't want it, or will leave it and raise it as one of her own. I personally haven't have a broody kill chicks that weren't hers, but it does happen
Yes! At night, for sure. Pitch black darkness.

I have had to try a couple of times for a broody to take a day old chick. If it doesn't work right away, you can try again later that same night or even the next night.

I have a broody w just one chick, now 3 weeks old and it has been fine. Mama dotes on it and gives the chick all it needs, it never cries.
Mama had 2 eggs, the other was candled and found not alive. Even after we removed it, she stayed on the nest 2 days and 2 nights after the chick hatched. I put food and water close so chick could eat and drink.

10F78819-4698-4F4C-9D30-E44D0735250E.jpeg

I've had broodies kill chicks they knew weren't theirs. If you get any more chicks make sure they are the same color. Unfortunately its happened several times. 😟
Thank you so much for replying- in what ways did the baby have a rough go of it? Is it down the road when the mama joins the flock and it’s hard to integrate?

Back
Top Bottom