Help!! Mama hen plucking out baby chicks back feathers

xyuingnutfarms

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2015
Got a bantam hen that's been plucking out her chicks feathers, as of today I noticed. They may have mites... We are going to get diatanacious earth tomorrow is the plan. Chicks are about a week n a half. Mom won't stop and separating them is causing a lot of anxiety n stress. Any ideas of what I can do right now? They are in the house, so I can easily pay close attention to them. I did put a tub of dirt/ ash mix in their area a bit ago hoping they'd use it, but they haven't yet

If she won't stop, then you may need to raise them in the brooder without the mother hen. She will go a little crazy looking for them at first, but she will be okay by the next day. Mites or lice should be visible on the chicks or the broody. Permethrin is very good for lice or mites, but I would try not to have to use it on the chicks if possible.

If she won't stop, then you may need to raise them in the brooder without the mother hen. She will go a little crazy looking for them at first, but she will be okay by the next day. Mites or lice should be visible on the chicks or the broody. Permethrin is very good for lice or mites, but I would try not to have to use it on the chicks if possible.
Just got some diatanacious earth.. Do you think that would be okay to use? I was thinking to use some of that and wash the chicks with dawn and blow dry n then move to their outdoor home. Not sure. It could be that momma is deficient but I've also noticed that with feeding chickens properly plus extras and free ranging sometimes they still like to eat feathers anyways.. I tried looking this up on line but wasn't having any luck. Seperated her for a bit yesterday and she as well as her chicks all were going crazy having panic attacks. Thanks for helping

Try increasing the broody's protein by feeding chick starter which is just right for the chicks, and give her some chopped egg or tuna for more protein. DE can be used, but it can cause breathing problems if they get it into their nostrils. It might be better to rub it or permethrin on the broody, and wash the chicks if they have mites. Add clean bedding.

Back
Top Bottom