Help me choose a breed...

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
I want to add a new hen to my flock so I have been locking through all of the breeds. I want a hen that will lay white eggs and thats not your typical looking chicken. Most importantly I want a breed that is locally available from a breeder.
I know of a polish breeder, a appenzeller spitzhauben, and a near by leghorn breeder.
I know that leghorns will lay a ton of eggs which i would love, but they don't have the unusual looks. I love the top hat on the polishes but how is their laying? Ive read on some places that they are good layers and some places say they are very poor layers.
Do most poultry shows have a sales barn? Ive only been to one show and it had a very large sales section, but by the time I was done looking everything was sold out
hit.gif

I really love those hamburgs and I guess I could wait till april until the next show
hmm.png
So, do most poultry shows have a large section of birds available? And what are your experiences with polishes and their laying?
big_smile.png

Yes, poultry shows have sale barns. And yes, if your Polish are from hatchery stock (most of them out there) then they're very dependable layers. Truly Show Quality Polish (not just at fairs) though aren't the best layers.

The only question I can answer is that I have had polish and really enjoyed them
I do not believe they are great layers...........3 or 4 eggs a week.
Just my experience.
I am sure you will get more responces.
Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom