Help me choose a breed

Chucknbob

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 20, 2012
Hello,

First of all, I'm hoping to put together a self sustaining flock of birds for both eggs and meat. I've got 3 acres, half is fenced in pasture, so they will be free ranging inside the pasture. I live in southwest Ohio. I would prefer my birds to be broiler/fryers. I eat a lot of grilled and fried chicken, not many slow cooked stews.

Is there a dual purpose bird that will be big enough to slaughter while the meat is still young and tender? I know there aren't any that compete with the Cornish cross, but for all of you dual purpose breeders out here, what do you raise or reccomend?

welcome-byc.gif
from one Ohioan to another. I just wanted to say welcome, I am a all the way Cornish X person. I like the 6 - 8 weeks and done thing. I had sussex that are really meaty and I would imagine a Rock would also be all right. Most take 17 weeks sometimes longer. For the money raise the cornish X or Freedom rangers
Michele

I had 4 freedom rangers last summer, we ate the 3 Roos who filled out very quickly and were tender and tasty. I kept the hen because she is such a good layer. She is with my Welsummer roo and I have some of her eggs in the incubator right now just for fun. I'll see what I get, will be interesting.
I'm also looking at adding a new breed or two to my flock this spring. I'm from northeastern Ohio, so need a hardy breed. I also want dual purpose and good personality. I'm thinking about getting some Swedish Flower Hen eggs or chicks. Anyone out there had any experience with them?

Back
Top Bottom