Help Me Choose a Car!

Peaches Lee

Crowing
13 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Pennsylvania
I am looking at three types of cars and having trouble deciding which one to go with. Here's what I'm looking for: small, fuel efficient, on the cheaper side, high MPG ration.

Here are the models I'm looking at:

SmartCar
Chevy Aveo
Toyota Yaris

If you have any experience, good or bad, with any of these models, please share! The Chevy Aveo seems to be the best bet, but I'm just hearing from a certain source (my dad
roll.png
) that these cars need a ton of work done on them. Now, I would usually believe him but he is trying to pick out a car for me that HE would like to drive around, read F350 Lariat dually!! LOL!! Every car that I have picked out he has something negative to say, so I'm really looking for an outside source. Thanks!

I am looking at three types of cars and having trouble deciding which one to go with. Here's what I'm looking for: small, fuel efficient, on the cheaper side, high MPG ration.

Here are the models I'm looking at:

SmartCar
Chevy Aveo
Toyota Yaris

If you have any experience, good or bad, with any of these models, please share! The Chevy Aveo seems to be the best bet, but I'm just hearing from a certain source (my dad
roll.png
) that these cars need a ton of work done on them. Now, I would usually believe him but he is trying to pick out a car for me that HE would like to drive around, read F350 Lariat dually!! LOL!! Every car that I have picked out he has something negative to say, so I'm really looking for an outside source. Thanks!

I know nothing about the SmartCar???

You're dad is right about the Aveo and I don't know much about the Yaris.

I've got my heart set on an Accord. I love them. My oldest daughter has one that my husband and I used to borrow all the time. She loved that he detailed it every time, LOL I love the MPG and I'm tall, so I like the leg room too.

That Lariat sounds cool though. LOL

I'm not much help, am I?

I don't own a Yaris but I rented one to get home from the airport a few months ago and it was so cheap feeling, like riding in a tin can (sorry any owners but this is not a car I would own after renting one)
I have a Chevy Cruze and it is a nice little car, no issues after a year of ownership and great gas mileage but not as cheap as the Aveo.
Smart cars are all over Europe with excellent gas mileage but I have no knowledge of their reliability, I personally would not get one unless you live in a huge city and have parking issues.

Sorry not much help
big_smile.png
it really comes down to what YOU want.

Last edited:
I think the SmartCars are adorable and would love one. I don't know what their safety rating is though. You can look up Consumer Reports for stuff like that though.

I know it isn't on your list, but I love my Scion Xb. It's the boxy one (like a toaster). They have changed the shape and I don't like the new ones as well, but mine has been a GREAT car. It gets good gas mileage, but will hold a ton. I routinely get multiple 50lb bags of feed in the back with bags of shavings as well. The back seats fold down flat. I have even gotten 8' 2x4s in there (a great help if you are planning on building chicken coops!).

Scion has been around forever. Mine is 6 years old and has over 100,000 miles on it and has only had routine maintenance on it (like tires and oil changes). I would buy another one in a heartbeat. It's made by Toyota.

If you want something smaller they make other versions- one that looks like a tiny station wagon, a tiny car and a new one that looks like the Smartcar. They are very cost efficient too.

http://www.scion.com/cars/

Don't know where you liveI, but I rented a Yaris when my DH was out of town with the Silverado. We had a snow storm as I was picking it up. I barely got home in one piece. I had to have a friend pull it up my driveway. It doesn't even have a hook on the frame You have to remove an eyelet from near the headlight and screw it in.IMO it is really a dangerous car,

Hi Everyone, thanks for replying.

theotherranch--I am looking for a commuter car, good on gas mileage, no hauling.

Citygirlinthecountry--Thanks, I'll check out Scion.

It just kind of stinks, any car that I look at I hear bad things about and it gets kind of frustrating. But putting it in to perspective, I don't think the SmartCar would be good because I travel a lot of country roads, and it probably won't be able to handle them.

To be honest, I would recommend something a bit larger. Even if they're cheap and get good mileage, they aren't of the greatest quality and aren't necessarily the safest, especially when around larger cars. I would suggest getting a Honda sedan, prefferably the Civic or Accord (of almost any year), because they're for the most part reliable, get good mileage, and are safe. That or a Nissan Sentra. Nissans tend to last forever...

Back
Top Bottom