Silverlaced orpingtons- which do i pick to keep!?

Rooka_2

Songster
Apr 18, 2021
Hi everyone!

I have the most gorgeous silverlaced orpingtons, I *think* I can tell at this point which is a roo and which is a pullet. I have 9 total and the roos seem to be growing tail feathers while the pullets do not. What's odd to me though, I hatched out 6 isabel orpingtons and I could have sworn they had tail feathers, but they are all 100% hens. Anyways, some of the roos I can 100% tell they are roos.
Question is, how do I pick which one I want to keep for breeding? Maybe I shouldn't keep any and get a new roo so it's 100% unrelated to my hens? The lady I got them from had TONS of both hens and roos so maybe they're likely not from the same hen, but it's possible they could have the same roo as their Dad.
All of these roos seem really gentle so far, we handle our birds daily and when I do get a mean roo, we quickly send him to a new home.
What qualities should I look for when selecting which roo I want to keep? Im so in love with these guys I might end up just putting them in an all roo pen. I do want to try and trade one for a isabel orpington roo though as I ended up hatching 6 hens and no roos.
I'm newer to this, but plan on selling hatching eggs and want to make sure I keep them quality stock. Teach me your ways!
Here are my gorgeous birds 😍

This is Big Boy, he's massive compared to the other roos. He's absolutely stunning and I'd love to hear what others think, does he look like a good quality bird?
1000010190.jpg

Here is some of them, big boy is the 3rd bird up. I believe you can see 3 pullets here, the one beside big boy is the one I'm questioning, as you can see very small tail feathers but small and sorta looks like a pullet?
1000010187.jpg

Pullet and another Roo
1000010179.jpg

Another Roo
1000010176.jpg

Random, hard to tell but you can see the stream feathers and their colorings
1000010114.jpg

Big Boy is drinking from the water in front looking up
1000010185.jpg

Big Boy behind and another roo in front
1000010108.jpg
1000010177.jpg

One of the pullets, just for fun because shes adorable.
1000010180.jpg

Sorry, lots of pictures hard to tell who's who. They all look very similar, but I'd love to know how you choose your breeding roo and if any of mine stand out?

Look for the cockerel that most confirms to standards. The first thing I would personally look for is the body shape and how the wings and tail sit. I would look at a bird of the same breed and variety that had won best of breed/variety then compare them. Then once you have done that and took out the birds that don’t look the best body confirmation wise, look at the lacing on each bird. Is the lacing even? Choose the bird that has the most clean and most even lacing throughout.

This may be a wee bit confusing, if it is please let me know what you are confused on! This is the way my mind thinks of how to choose the best out of a group.

Inbreeding isn’t bad or good. You just have to know how to use it correctly. It amplifies traits, so you should amplify the good characteristics and avoid the bad. If issues start turning up, an outcross can be necessary, but otherwise, breeding related birds is fine.
To pick the best bird, you would need to chose the bird that most closely resembles the English Orpington standard (if English Orpingtons are your goal.)

Back
Top Bottom