help me choose a feed brand

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HSerChickLady, Feb 19, 2012.

1. HSerChickLady

HSerChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    I'm going to be trying a different feed for my layers but am totally not sure which way to go next. We're currently feeding DuMor layer and i'm not 100% happy with it but here are the other choices i'm looking into:

-Purina Layena (told it's the same as DuMor)
    -Purina Flock Raiser
    -Blue Seal Layer
    -Agway Layer
    -Agway Producer (not sure if local store has it yet)
    -Nutrena Layer (not sure which version local store has yet)
    -Nutrena All Flock (not sure which version local store has yet)
    -Keystone (just found out about a place that carries this)

I think if i can find it i'd like to try the Nutrena Nature Wise line of feeds. I just found out there are 2 local placees that are Nutrena distributors but both are closed on sundays so i can't call them till tomorrow at least. But i'm not really hopeful that either place will have it as i don't live in an area where a lot of people are into raising their animals more naturally.

What do you all think?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. Anna_MN

Anna_MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    I use the Nutrena Nature Wise layer feed and I LOVE it! I will never use anything else. Keep in mind that the Nature Wise products are packaged in 40lb bags. Around here it runs about $13 a bag but since I only have 3 grown chickens at the moment, I'm willing to pay that much. When I have 23 laying hens running around I will probably order pallets to save money. It is an excellent feed and doesn't have a lot of waste in the bag (dust).

3. HSerChickLady

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    I'm paying just over $13 a bag for the DuMor right now. Agway isn't any better either. So that much doesn't bother me. I'll have 30 hens and 4 rooster on it come fall but will just buy several bags at a time when we get to that point. If i end up on All Flock i'll also have 10 ducks added to that number and willprobably buy a palett worth at a time then too if i can find a way to store it.

4. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I also recommend the Nutrena. And if you want higher protein, you can use the non-medicated chick starter/grower and just make sure your girls have oyster shell available. I usually do a mix of layer and grower feeds.

I also recommend Payback, but that may only be available on the west coast...I've used their chick starter and All Purpose (like purina flock raiser).

5. HSerChickLady

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    I called around yesterday and the Nutrena dealers only carry the "country feeds" version. Noplace has the "nature wise" version. :(

I did find out that TSC is carrying the Omega-3 Layer now. So i think i'm going to try that.

6. zbraswell92

zbraswell92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    Roswell, Ga
    I use Nutrena CF Layer and my girls love it! It has animal protein in it so it is very nutrient-rich. I'm gonna try their chick feed next! My girls' plumage and enery are fabulous.
    Some of the areas where it is sold have backery products in them, but the Country Feeds sold Georgia do not.
    I know, it's strange. ;)

Best of luck :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by