Help me Choose an Incubator!

PoultryQueen29

Songster
8 Years
Sep 26, 2011
North Carolina
I wanted to do a little hatching project this summer. Hatch eggs for people and maybe make a little money off of it. I love hatching eggs so it would be really fun. I want a good incubator for this (at the time I have a Little Giant cheap styrofoam incubator that almost killed my eggs the first time I used it). What is the best incubator that will keep the temp. and humidity stable and has automatic turning? My price limit is $299.99. Not $300 because having a 2 instead of a 3 in front will look better to my dad
wink.png

I started with a LG still air we bought of craigslist. It worked ok, but needed constant monitoring. Was not happy with the ability to hold humidity. Seemed very the styro seemed very porous.

We purchased a GQF Hovabator 1588 and love it. The LG egg turner dropped right in and fit perfectly in the 1588.

Will tell you how the first hatch with the 1588 goes on Saturday, but at lockdown it looks like a winner.

I think we paid under 160 for the 1588 and I'd rec commend the turner. This should bring you to about 220ish. Make sure to check the BYC sponsors in the featured sponsors list to the right when shopping. I got mine from GQF.

Bill

I have two Hovabators (1602 & a 1588) and a Brinsea Octagon 20 eco. The 1602 is okay and it's hatched out a lot of eggs, but it's a still air so it's not that great about regulating the temp. The 1588, though, is much better and I definitely recommend it. It's hatched everything from chicks to peachicks with very good hatch rates. I haven't had the Brinsea that long, so still kinda getting used to it. But I love that's its not a styrofoam incubator.

Last edited:
I am currently using a 1588 as we speak, for the first time. I am nearing the end and it has held its humidity and temp very well. I have been told that styro bators tend to lead to eggs that don't loose as much moisture as they should. I have been filling the first tray in the bator and it holds around 53%. I am worried bc the air cells aren't very big. If I do this again, I will try doing something closer to dry incubating (maybe around 40%).

Check out a ReptiPro I'm buying one tommorrow for 219 with one egg turner. I think the cheapest one the have is 169 but no turner.

Back
Top Bottom